Did you get a new job or promotion after getting sober?

The day I got sober I was also desperately applying for other jobs, clawing to get out. Working recovery, I started trying to focus more on what was right in front of me.

Fast forward to getting straight w/ my boss about what was going on. He decided I needed more responsibility. A promotion without a raise, a dozen more guys to supervise. My jaw hit the floor with trepidation. I swallowed hard and said, “Alright.”

Skip ahead another several months and he called me in to his office. I got a big, fat raise for accepting responsibilities above and beyond. The gesture alone shook me with gratitude for how things changed.

I’d be lying if I said this is all a good thing. I still struggle wrapping around it. Especially when my ego rears its head.

Still. It’s something.

9 Likes

Jealous!! Enjoy.

2 Likes

Ended up getting getting promoted about 6 months into sobriety.I went from doing blue collar work for my company to getting a spot inside the office with my own desk. Nothing against getting my hands dirty but I made a goal to get a office job.

3 Likes

Yes! After working in an admin role for years and not using my science degree I finally got an analyst role in the same institution I already worked at. It’s kind of a dream role (although it’s very junior) for me and it’s something I’m passionate about because it’s to do with sustainability/ the environment. I’m not sure if I would have been able to do as well in the interview if I had a hangover! I’ve been very lucky

5 Likes

That is fantastic! I hope you enjoy your new job!

1 Like

That is a great story! Wonderful to hear about your personality getting a chance to come through. We spend a lot of our waking life at work. Sleepwalking through that and life is just a shame.

1 Like

I just started working part-time job on Friday. Its just laundry delivery 3 days a week. I quite enjoy driving and to listen to radio. Problem is the owner seemed too enthusiastic, started offering me more jobs immediately. I could wash carpets, wax floors, clean windows, cut lawns etc. But I feel, that I’d like to stick only with them deliveries. It’s enough to pay my bills and have plenty of time to stay home and rest. He even kind of asked at the interview what were my intentions for this job, was I looking for a place to kill my time or was I a hard worker. I dodged it telling him, yeah of course as an owner your plan would be to grow and make more income. And that I totally understood. But I can’t go straight telling him that I’m a recovering alcoholic, and I need to work with myself and the program. And I got nervous and usually when I get anxious I start drinking. Well. Long story short. I’m back tomorrow morning and sober :slight_smile: I really hope I can just do my job as they advertised and keep my head down, stay sober and prove people around my thay I’m reliable.

5 Likes

I’m just happy I didn’t lose my job while drinking
:smile:

5 Likes

Not everyone let their professional lives go by the wayside like I did. In my case it was shame, procrastination and anxiety holding me back. It sounds like that wasn’t a problem for you. That’s good!

This is a great thread @LeilaBird, thank you for starting it. It has been a joy reading through these.
I changed jobs 7 months into my sobriety, I have now been sober for 1 year and 3 months. I was working as a cook in a restaurant. The restaurant industry is an industry where substance abuse, alcohol or drugs, are very common. After 10 years in the kitchen, it was time for me to get out. The hours are long and hard, the pressure is relentless, and trying to find/maintain a balance in your life is really hard. And while I love the kitchen, I love being sober a whole hell of a lot more.
So I got a job working as a butcher full time. It may be a little less exciting but it is much more rewarding in so many other ways. The most important being earning a living while being the best person I can be for my family.

5 Likes

I went 74 days sober and in that time I got a new part time job that fits around my family life and it’s not too much stress for me, just a low income. But it pays the bills and pays for food I guess. I am now 14 days sober, and I still have my job. The thing is I know if I go binging again my anxiety will be too much for me to even comprehend working so I am trying my hardest and wanting to remain sober. I have to, for my own sanity and happiness as well as my families sanity and happiness.

I have goals that I want to achieve this year mainly a couple of businesses I will be starting. The problem is I get impatient and can’t see light at the end of the tunnel. I struggle with the fact I am a failure “so why would anything I do work for me or go my way”?

1 Like

If you feel too much pressure into doing other stuff just explain you have other commitments at the moment.

1 Like

I have to say this well done. But some of us if we were to tell bosses of struggles in life they would make our lives harder at work until we cave in and either leave or get fired. Your lucky!

2 Likes

Also jealous! When I opened the investment account I was all, “Can I retire yet? No, how about now?” :blush:

1 Like

I am glad you enjoyed the thread. I enjoyed hearing all the stories of people thriving.

I very much liked how you allowed yourself to be flexible enough to make your career fit your needs.

Yes, but as someone said to me once, “I may be retiring but you’re younger.” I didn’t really get it then cause she was in her 50s and I was early 40s but now I understand what she meant.

1 Like

This is an amazing story. It shows the positive things that come from sobriety. You will be tested obviously with the new challenges but you will pass these tests and you will grow.

I’m two years sober on Monday and I have been invited to join a meeting at a level in the firm I work for that I would never have dreamt of two years ago - on my two year birthday, there’s real significance in it for me and I reflected on the story in the big book where it spoke of the businessman working right up to a day or two before a deal closed then going on a bender and screwing it all up so I’m going to read that part of the book over the weekend to keep me focused as I sometimes find milestones a time where my thoughts can meander slightly off track.

I have gained two new posts in these two years and whilst I am not filthy rich and never will be, I am building really secure foundations for my continued growth.

As the two year mark approaches, I am revisiting goals both professionally and personally and I am excited about the potential but staying grounded. I see some complacency at times and I am going to look at how I tune myself to improve in these areas and make positive changes.

Great to see other people’s success stories. With sobriety so much of what seemed impossible becomes possible.

4 Likes

I got the job that I was flown to another state for!!! They called the next day to work out the details. Had to take a drug test for the first time ever, but wasn’t worried! :rofl: I will be starting on June 1st, making 28% more, and will be a discipline leader! The job I am leaving, I have been at for 9.5 years and trying to leave for about 5. :two_hearts:

8 Likes

Congratulations @Kareness! Your good work paid off!

Sounds like you are long overdue for the recognition and a change. :raised_hand:

I am super excited for you. :smiley:

My job doesn’t pay more because I work 2 days a week, but I moved us across the country, and I am back in school to do good in this world. I won’t make much in that job, either :sweat_smile:.
I am living a much more fulfilling life out here, and that was really what this is about. Sobriety is such a gift.

4 Likes