Did you get a new job or promotion after getting sober?

This is a more specific version of the accomplishment thread.

I now have a new job that pays 35% more than my old one. I know @Steve92 is a big wig manager now. There are other folks with promotions or second jobs.

I think a lot of us sober warriors are moving on up. Does doing better at work motivate you?

10 Likes

Yes I got a promotion after 5 months sober, it is going well too. I am lucky, I have a good job which I enjoy and it has helped me buy my own home which if I were drinking still I have no idea how this would have turned out.

I love my home. It’s a sober home :smiley:

6 Likes

I start a new job next week :slight_smile: .Yayyyy… I try not to think it has to do with me sobering up. I don’t want my success or failures at being sober to measured by whether things are going good or bad for me. I want the strength and clarity to see things through no matter the circumstances. In my own way, it keeps me from not having any excuses to drink.

2 Likes

I’ve been at my job for almost 10 years but since becoming sober I no longer have a fear of being fired for attendance, inattention or a failed drug test and I’ve basically gotten a raise because I show up everyday! Lol

6 Likes

That’s awesome. You got a new house too!

Yes I love the place, it’s great to be able to shut out the world and watch the sunset from my living room.

3 Likes

I OTOH don’t mind letting my sobriety take the credit for some of the good stuff.

Sure, I might have been this focused if I was still drinking every weekend but I doubt it.

Sure, I might carry along some of the self improvement for a while even if I went back to it but don’t think it would last.

Yes! I know the feeling. Actually working on work days now!

I sort of get paid by the hour where I am too because of flex time and missed hours add up then are docked from my vacation. I have missed a lot of them…

1 Like

Start my new job in a few weeks. I can actually pass the drug test!

5 Likes

I’ve actually got a new job with less money. When I stopped drinking I realised just how unhappy I was at work, really going to be poor in cash but rich in peace.

7 Likes

That’s great!

That’s important too. Who knows? After you make yourself sane and happy you may decide to move on again if another non-toxic job comes along.

Trust me, I totally accept the good that comes with it. I believe being sober opens you up to a lot more good than bad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No new job yet, but I have been putting out some amazing hair, which in turn makes me more money. So, definitely got a raise.
My boss is crazy, and much easier to deal with when I’m sober. :wink:

3 Likes

No promotion but I was able to KEEP my job. Then I retired quite comfortable and sober. Life is good.

4 Likes

Since I quit drinking in December 2017 and started getting after it, my year-over-year commissions went up $10K, and I just got promoted into a more senior sales role. Little bump on the base salary, and more commissions potential. Even if I stayed in my old role, I’m was tracking to make 60% more than before, and in this new role, who knows what the upper limit is?

Sober and living life. Sober and getting after it.

4 Likes

I was let go of a great job making good money and that sent me into a downward spin of drinking non stop every day. I got help. While in the hospital a recruiter called me out of the blue about a job, I interviewed after I got out of the hospital and got the job! It pays even more than the last and they are talking promotion already. The fuzzy mind is gone, and the shakes are a thing of the past. One day at a time I am moving forward in a positive fashion.

7 Likes

Yes I also got a job paying about 35% more. It’s helped a lot now that I enjoy my job and surroundings more.

2 Likes

Yes I saw that pic you posted. Beautiful work!

Must be tough having a ninja for a boss. :grinning:
You never know when they are right behind you.

1 Like

@LadyZode I see you are moving on to better things too. :smile: