Dinners and Day Parties help

Hi Y’all! 5 days in and I’m gearing up for the big first weekend! Already started last night by staying in and doing laundry instead of going out. My friends and I are getting dinner tonight and my plan is to drive to keep me on track. Tomorrow however there is this ski day themed day party and my plan is to bring my own NA drinks. Any advice on how to still enjoy events while being sober or still go out and not just hibernate because I’m scared? Much love.

5 Likes

Hi. It sounds like you’re doing great but you don’t need to do it all at once.

1. Dinner - the BEST tip I have is to make sure you order your drink first. If you’re listening to others order an alcoholic drink by the time they get to you you might cave. Order first. Order first. I can’t say it enough.

2. Day party….I’d skip it this weekend. Maybe just stick to one event this first weekend. If you put yourself into too many tempting situations it can be very hard to resist.

YOU CAN DO IT

5 Likes

I warn my guys from going to any place were booze will be present so be careful if you decide to go ,sometimes we have to do things that we dont like just to keep ourselfs on the right path , wish you well

5 Likes

Thank you!!

Very true. Nothing wrong about slowing down and doing one thing at a time.

Yes the right thing is not always easy. Thanks for reminding me of this valuable life lesson.

1 Like

Congratulations on your 5 days.
I had to wait until I had some serious sober time under my belt before I could go and do a lot of things. I wanted sobriety so bad I avoided party’s and such for a pretty long time. And it was totally worth it now.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

If you’re going to go to the ski theme party, bring seltzer water and drink it out of a coozy. You’ll be amazed that no one notices, and on the rare occasion they do notice – no one cares!

Instead of thinking about “missing out” use it as an opportunity to direct your focus on the attendees who are drinking. Are they really having more fun than you? Why? Are they having better conversations? Of course not.

I’m no expert and only on Day 33 myself, but I’ve been in a few of those situations and come though happier that I wasn’t drinking, especially when I woke up alert, well-rested, and went out for a run, thankful I didn’t have to worry about driving home, wondering what I said/did, and wasting half the day.

Just remember - a week from now, no one’s going to remember who was there or who drank what. The people who drank to excess might have strong feelings of regret and promise themselves they won’t do it again next time. You won’t be one of those people.

3 Likes

Have a tool kit and an exit plan.

In your “tool” kit (I carry mine is a small cosmetic bag) you can have essential oils, a list of why you are doing this, a really strong hard candy (I like ginger), etc. Keep sober phone numbers handy, if you have them. If you don’t, get some. Text if you are feeling wobbly to get some encouragement.

Decide under what circumstance you’ll leave early and stick to it. The longer the discomfort, the more likely you’ll slip.

I actually enjoy standing back as an observer and watching people’s demeanor change. It strengthens my resolve.

2 Likes

I’ve found that the events that required alcohol in order to enjoy myself are actually just a waste of time when sober.

My advice would be to stay home, no need to put undue stress and temptation on you so soon.

Wish you well!

3 Likes

Bringing your own drinks is a good idea. Think about why you want to remain sober and hold on to that thought.

1 Like
3 Likes