Divorce - how to survive

So here it comes. We separated. year and a half of marriage, 7 years od on and off dating, and a one beautiful baby boy of ours. I’m 24 yo. He couldn’t stand my drinking problem (cca 10 times for a last year) but also he did not want to understand that his verbal agression and nervous breakdowns affected me so much, I didn’t know how to handle it but drinking (His parents raised him to be a man more valuable than a woman, he has rights to yell and command and I was not ready for that… my parents raised 3 daughters, independent women)

Can’t lie I feel more relaxed and loved here at my parents house, but also I feel so sad. He didn’t want to be with me as a support even tho we said ‘in illness and in health’

Note: don’t have alcohol cravings, I’m on my antidepressive th, rolling to my 20day milestone, just emotional pain and self worth loss so I’m asking for a few kind words

4 Likes

20 days is wonderful! How brave to leave a relationship that was causing repetitive trauma and pain that you numbed with alcohol.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re having to go through that. I’m in a sorta similar situation where my wife and I are separated (three kids) and our 10 year anniversary was yesterday, which made for a really hard day, and I’m 25 days clean. I literally felt like I had to hold on for dear life yesterday but I made it. I feel better today.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, hang in there and better days will come. I’m praying for you and congratulations on making it to 20 days - that’s an accomplishment!!

3 Likes

Hi Iva. Divorce really sucks. I’m sorry. And congrats on your 20 days :heart: yay! I think what happens now more than anything else in the early days is that we FEEL things more than before. It’s as if we have a new sense that we didn’t have before. Instead of smell or sight, we have this sharp painful set of feelings now and we have to learn how to handle it without the crutch. I saw a movie once where the woman got in a car accident. Her mouth was all messed up. Her husband couldn’t handle it and divorced her. She became upset about her condition and told her doctor that she divorced because of her distorted mouth. He said, no you divorced because it was a bad marriage. I think about that with alcohol. Was it really the underlying issues? Or was it really the booze? Hmm. Well, nonetheless, you are going to get well and move on to the future! Taste the sweets, listen to the music, and watch the clouds with your baby! Life is waiting for you!

1 Like