Do I belong here?

Cmon man. You can’t begin a sober journey with a sentence like this.
Relapse is one thing, but setting yourself up for one right out of the gate isn’t a commitment.

I wish you all the best success, and will cheer for all your accomplishments, but YOU need to make an effort.

Best

2 Likes

If you read on you would see that I did make an effort and didnt drink that day. Thanks for the support.

1 Like

Thanks Danny, I did read on completely and I do support everyone here. Sentences like that one though are an “out” imho.

I wish you the best success, and hope you are in it to win it. I just don’t think dialogue setting yourself up for failure is a healthy way to approach. But again, I wish you success as I have to everyone I’ve engaged with my last few months here while I focus to remain sober as well.

Just making an observation sir

2 Likes

Its true what Chevy says though …if you really want to be sober youve got to get your mindset right from the start…be really determined and go after it with all youve got… i cant recommend Allen Carrs easy way to quit drinking enough to change your mindset about drinking it changed mine forever…

2 Likes

Hello mate hope you are well. I have just read your post and found it very interesting. You seem to crave alcohol and the high that it gives you despite knowing it makes you feel shit. Do you have any hobbies or things you are interested in? I was very similar to you, I used to spend all my money on booze and could not see past a night out. Im a keen hillwalker and enjoy going to football matches but I could never do this because I spent all my money in the pub. Im now 4 years sober ive got back doing the things I love and I couldn’t think of anything worse than pissing my heard earned cash up the wall. If I was you id be questioning wether or not you really want to stop. You are capable but you have to want to change first. Actions are always louder than words and you’ve taken the first step coming in here.

5 Likes

Hi, yeh, unfortunately all my hobbies have stopped. I’m looking to get back in to these, this week. Walking is something I love and I’ve always wanted to do the coast to coast walk so thats my goal really. I really do want to stop and I’m more in the mentality today that I have stopped. I know my language in the original post was a bit naff but I was just being honest. Apologies @Chevy55 if I came across as rude this morning.

4 Likes

Welcome Danny from another 43 year old in the UK. Yes to the 90s booze culture here!

I am a slightly different type of problem drinker, could never have days off and mainly drinking at home in the evening. Still hugely problematic and relate to thinking about it all the time and the massive health implications. I struggled a bit wondering if I was bad enough as there is now a huge mummy wine culture here and loads of people drink more than me, and seemingly don’t consider themselves to have a problem. But I do have a problem, and have done for 20 years really. I am happier when I don’t drink and when I do try and moderate I quickly slip back into nightly drinking again and weight gain!

Nice to have you here :blush:

6 Likes

Hi Danny…hope your doing well today :blush:

4 Likes

I’m good thankyou. Day 2 today and feeling positive. Hope you’re well.

5 Likes

Have you read any books on sobriety?I really recommend it.

If you can change the way you see alcohol then it can change your perspective of it and help with them journey of going sober

3 Likes

All good Danny, it’s a big step making this decision. I just want you to do well and go into with the right attitude.

Congratulations on Day 2!! Your only focus now is to go to bed sober tonight. ODAAT man. You got this.

3 Likes

Thanks @Chevy55. Yeh, just taking it one day at a time now. Was getting ahead of myself I think to kick off. Hope all is well with you.

3 Likes

Extremely well with me sir. Best I’ve felt in, well,
a very long time.
I cannot believe it took 56 years to figure out just how much better things can be sober. I’m completely amazed.

3 Likes

I love this! Yes its never too late…ive been really surprised by sobriety too…i do not know now how i functioned back when i was drinking!

@danny81 im very well thank you…its hard this getting sober malarkey… honestly everyone here means well…we all understand what its like especially at the start it can be very up and down…its all a learning curve for us all, your doing great :heart:

3 Likes

Its great to see you back bud, stick with it. 1 day at a time.

3 Likes

Hello, Danny. As many people here will say, “alcoholic” is a label. I don’t think of it in that way, but, if I had to define that “part” of me, I would say “yes, I am an alcoholic”. Nevermind the fact that, while I was drinking, I had no problem going without a drink for a couple of weeks. I still knew I had a problem. Because, if the thought of a drink won’t leave you in peace, if you make your decisions so as not to affect your drinking etc., I guess you are one of us. We all have many differences, but, when it comes to drinking, we’re all the same. Someone here mentioned the stereotype of an alcoholic as a homeless man drinking from a bottle hidden under a paper bag. We’re all that exact person. It doesn’t matter that I have an amazing home, can travel fairly often and I live quite comfortably: in the bottom of myself - sorry for my bad English - I am THAT person. When I start drinking, I can’t stop. And for me, that’s all there is to it.
I’ve had a lot of relapses. Luckily, I knew I had this place. I remember a strict and just comment of my behavior and situation I described in a post. I didn’t “like” it, but it was true and written without malice (quite the opposite). I also remember lots of comforting words etc. It all helped.
The thought of never being able to drink again was no problem for me, though I know it is for a lot of people. But, give sobriety a chance. Just try. You’re in the right place, of that I am sure.
Nice to meet you and I hope to hearing from you soon.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m definitely giving it a chance. I’m only two days in but the positive decision of stopping already feels good. I’ve been for a swim tonight where I would usually be about 8 hours in at the pub. It’s not going to be easy for many reasons but I’m feeling determined to never drink again. Thanks again.

5 Likes

Positive attitude :+1: i tip my hat to you

2 Likes