Curling in the squat rack šŸ‹ļø

I was wayyyyyy too tired to post yesterday. I had a draft started and by the end of the day I just kept falling asleep writing it.

I had a very hard time eating on Thursday. I really think my stomach is adjusting to having food in it. I am slowly feeling better by the day. Good thing at least Thursday was a rest day:

Thursday:
Calories: 1,060 (goal for rest days 1,320) so I
fell short.
Carbs: 24%
Fat: 15%
Protein: 61%
Easy workout: Morning :ballot_box_with_check:
Evening :ballot_box_with_check:

Friday:
Calories: 1,624
Carbs: 35%
Fat: 14%
Protein: 51%
Workout: Morning :ballot_box_with_check:

BOOM!!

The day of rest was much needed. For those that donā€™t know, I have back and full body nerve issues. Iā€™m always in pain, but it does not control my life. My nerve problems have pretty much been lifelong and the last doctor thought MS, I never finished testing.

Anyway, at times my physical issues make it very difficult to do some of the things I need to do lifting wise. I refuse to use it as an excuse and I improvise. Itā€™s challenging to not think that Iā€™m being lame or weak. Iā€™d rather modify certain things than do nothing at all. Example, Iā€™ll some times do planks or push-ups on my fists instead of hands.

I know what is supposed to be targeted and I make sure I get the benefit :slight_smile:

Anyway, just about to start my morning workout at 3:30 in the afternoon :joy:
Just stretching and abs. Thank m still in half rest mode because I can feel how fatigued I am. Iā€™ve been a little sick, Iā€™ve had the chills, and this stomach stuff is not fun.

However, a fun festival is going on outside, so I have my balcony doors open to enjoy the breeze and the fun energy of the folks below. I love living here :heart:

Beautiful ladies @Clarity and @Hopeful777 how are you doing today? :heartpulse::muscle:

5 Likes

Hey! Itā€™s going good, just a bit sore! Sorry, woke up super early and had to pack for family trip to the beach. Then was super nauseous all day on this road trip. Did like 7 hours of driving today. Didnā€™t pack the weights :grimacing: But Austin flew out here last minute (we are at Holden beach, NC) and he brought an X3 bar?.. ever heard of it? So thatā€™s what I will be doing all this week. And I have a yoga mat! Gonna wake up and watch the sun rise and work out! LOVE :purple_heart: You!

I love you more!!! :purple_heart::white_heart::purple_heart::white_heart::purple_heart::white_heart::purple_heart:

Man! I really hope youā€™re feeling better! I have not heard of the X3 bar, so I just looked it up. Iā€™m not a fan of resistance bands, but I use them for certain things. I donā€™t like them because the tension is not consistent. X3 bar seems to have an interesting take on that fact, so ok. End of the day, your working those muscles girl and it probably a really great way to start and focus on form. I think first things first, making sure youā€™re moving correctly needs to be number 1.

Iā€™ll be waiving to you from Charlotte, 3 hours and 15 minutes away!

1 Like

Saturday, July 24, 2021

Calories: 1,675
Carbs: 35%
Fat: 15%
Protein: 50%
Workout: Morning :ballot_box_with_check:

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: What? Perfect percentages??? The likelihood of that ever happening again!?!?

Just getting ready for my evening workout and Iā€™ll do my plank challenge thing first I guess. Itā€™s starting to get tough with all the other plank and should work I do. For some reason my abs are tough stuff, so at least thereā€™s that.

My sister had a little birthday brunch for my daughter and me. Sheā€™s 25 and Iā€™m 50, so we made a big deal out of it. I got to see my other daughter too who has been alienated. It went extremely well. I love my baby girls so much I can hardly stand it. My older one has always been a mommaā€™s girl. We are really close. I hope to get there with the younger one.

Anyway, itā€™s going to be tough for me to get to my macros because everything there was really high fat, but sooooo yummy. So, I might have to eat extra to get there? What to do, what to do? This little puzzle is always kind of fun for me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello lovely ladies @Girlinterrupted and @Clarity all good here thank youā€¦ wow what a fabulous view you have bethā€¦

I have been inconsistent with any training as been working 2 jobsā€¦ but all that comes to an end this week and normality should take overā€¦ and into some daily training. I so need to get toned, good for body and mind.

I have gone to body pump previously to tone, may add a couple of spin classes inā€¦

Quick question Beth how do you measure all your fat, protein etc and then know what is a targetā€¦ i am not to clued up in this area :unamused:.

The only thing that has kept my weight down is the cleaning job! Because my eating habits have been unhealthy with no smokingā€¦ i developed a sweet tooth, well a full set of sweet teeth to be fair and eating far too much sugar not good. So got to get it all sorted - my next challenge. This thread is perfectly timed thank youā€¦

Catch up later guys

4 Likes

You sound happy :blush: makes me smile

2 Likes

Dude yeah. Cardio is not something you want to hang onto hard when youā€™re trying to gain. I had a ā€œPrinciples of Cardioā€ class a few years ago (I was finishing up a 2 year exercise science degreeā€“which I could do easily because they accepted all my generals from my last degree so I only had to do the actual exercise classes)ā€¦ anyway, I had this class, and it was supposed to be a sit down and learn class where you learned calculating various things like the V02max, and what HR zones were for what kind of person or whatever theyā€™re training for, and a review of muscle fibers, etc. But this guy likes to cycle, and so he decided we were going to spend time on the bikes so we could really feel what it felt like to be in each zone and to do it properly, etc.

It was interesting, the point is that he pontificated the necessity of cardio, even if you were trying to gain a lot of muscle. There was a friendly rival between him an another teacher who was more like, ā€œehā€¦ some cardio is good, but weight training is where itā€™s atā€.

Man that poor kid youā€™re talking about though! Thatā€™s so rough. I donā€™t think guys tend to get the help they need when they have an eating disorder vs girls. Itā€™s good that you talked to him about cardio. I hope it helps. :frown:

Makes sense about not being able to eat enough! I was going to be very amazed if you were going the all food route, but you never know! All that you mentioned actually sounds pretty good. Iā€™d rather go for a certain kind of protein bar if I want a candy bar than a candy bar. Some are really good and not nearly as sweet.

Good luck with the calorie loading! I love that youā€™re setting out on this journey after what youā€™ve been through!

My cat just keeps things warm for me. :laughing: Iā€™ll have to find a picture and post it.

3 Likes

Heyyyy girl! I use MyFitnessPal for the tracking. Itā€™s a free app, I wouldnā€™t pay for the premium version, itā€™s not worth the money. What you get for free is pretty good and thatā€™s the version Iā€™ve been using for years. The app will give you macro recommendations based on your goals and you can check during the day as you eat. So for example. Because Iā€™m on a recomp, I enter my own goals based off a lot of research. Right now Iā€™m experimenting because recom macros drastically vary by individual. So Iā€™m giving this set sixty days. Hereā€™s my little chart from yesterday:

You can scan barcodes to enter food, or key it in yourself. The database is huge though, itā€™s been years since Iā€™ve had to add something. Restaurants are in there too :slight_smile:

Girl, I hear you on the sweet teeth haha. It didnā€™t happen when I quit smoking (23ish years ago), but when I quit drinking, I consistently ate my weight in candy and cookies :cookie: :lollipop:

Iā€™m excited for your work life to calm down soon. Time for you sweet friend :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Awwwww, I am. I kinda like this happy shit :joy:

2 Likes

Awwww hell naw! Lol

There is a place for cardio when it comes to heart health. Iā€™ll never totally kick it out of my bed, but itā€™s not necessary for fat loss and itā€™s counterproductive to muscle gain depending on how much you do. Iā€™ll hit a weight loaded Tabata, but not straight cardio. Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle mass you have, the more efficient your fat burning is. Like, you literally burn more sitting at your desk.

I so understand this kid too. Heā€™s terrified of gaining the weight required to get the muscles he wants. So he starved himself so skinny that you have no choice but to see them and his damn bones. I know what itā€™s like to be terrified to gain weight. I wish I could take him home with me and make it all better. He has his whole life ahead of him, what a shitty way to start it out.

Thank you for your support, it really means a lot to me. I get frustrated when people poop on a recomp. Listen bro, just because you couldnā€™t do it doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t be done. I love that you have the background to understand it too. Of course itā€™s difficult and requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and most importantly, consistency. I think thatā€™s where a lot of people fail. They expect immediate results. Itā€™s a lifestyle. Either youā€™re in or youā€™re not. It will probably take me a few YEARS to get to where I want to be. Not days, weeks, or months.

Again, thank you. This is just my favorite subject on earth (well, forensics too haha) and I could literally talk about it all day!!

Looking forward to pics of your cat ā€œworking outā€ :joy:

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

Thanks Beth for the fab reply will get on it next few days, hell girl you motivating meā€¦ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@Girlinterrupted I was curious how many grams of protein you were going to have a day. I see now from the graph that itā€™s 200. Itā€™s amazing that you can get that. How are you going to get it? One thing Iā€™m not really a meat eater. I do want more protein. Iā€™ve been eating frozen chicken to get the 45 g there. ( cooked)

Iā€™m certainly not an athlete or what you would call a weightlifterBut Iā€™m a big proponent of strength training. I have slacked during covid and Iā€™m going to start at the end of this week, to some degree. My body aches for it.

As far as cardio, if youā€™re lifting any kind of weight, doing your repetitions, not taking hardly a break till you go to the next, you are doing a good bit of cardio work.
Maybe not by the ā€œdefinitionā€ that somebody wants to define it by but I would say certainly adequate for the health benefit.

I tried my fitness pal a long time ago and got bogged down w them wanting me to scan blueberries when I knew that the calorie count was 100.
I use the free noom now but I donā€™t think I get any macro counts. Iā€™m certain I donā€™t because I donā€™t see them only the three categories.

Maybe Iā€™ll try to switch to the MyFitnessPal. I did try a couple weeks ago and thought I canā€™t do this. ā€œAggravatingā€

Iā€™ve been doing the Noom since January and been happy with it. OK, so my big question is how are you getting the 200 g of protein a day?

I canā€™t add 650 cal to my diet. Iā€™m happy for you that this will help you reach your goals. Iā€™m excited to watch you do what you are setting out to do and I wish you great success with it.

My normal is to ride indoor bicycle 90min 20-22 miles Several times a week, itā€™s more leg strength training than cardio for me, walk and do other strength training. For the last couple months I slacked where usually I donā€™t.

With weights Iā€™ve slacked for awhile because of the lockdowns and where I wanted to go or not go.

I had so much I couldā€™ve done at homeā€¦ To anyone reading this and wanting to do someone thing with weights, there is so much you can do at home, with items that you have at home.

Motivation is something that a lot of us need at home and thatā€™s the beauty of a thread like this.

I did ride the bike 20 miles last night so thatā€™s good. Not ready to walk a lot because whatever I did to my lower leg. And no planks for right now.

Good luck to each of you on your endeavors.

Itā€™s the best way to stay fit, keep our minds in a good spot, keep our bodies healthy.

Cheers. :muscle::heart: :muscle:
Editing to add after I wrote this I reread where youā€™re talking about some of the supplemental protein. What kinds are good? I have whey factors but itā€™s Not much protein. What are others you like?
Also Iā€™m very much not that super knowledgeable on this stuff so if i say Something that you think is totally outlandish just say thatā€™s not right, I can take that. No expert here. And reading up above quickly I think that you talking about the strength training HIIT is the same thing as what I was talking about. My point was just lifting the weights without much of a break is going to raise the heart rate a good bit, not enough to negate what youā€™re trying to do as you well know But certainly enough to get good cardio benefit.

2 Likes

Great questions!

Protein has always been difficult. Also, the amount that I have daily could be unsafe for many. It can potentially be bad for your kidneys. I have a medical condition that requires extra protein, I also do not fully absorb anything that I eat, so I spread vitamins and protein out throughout the day.

I do eat meat and I love salmon. I donā€™t cook so salmon only happens for me when I eat out.

Anyway, here are some examples of how I pepper it in throughout the day completely meatless:

Coffee:
I use a scoop of collagen peptides and use pre-made vanilla protein drink as creamer. I use eithe Pure or Premier brand protein drinks for that.
Each cup 19g protein
1-3 cups daily

ā€Waterā€ 20oz each
2g psyllium husk
1/2 scoop clear, unflavored whey isolate
1 scoop electrolytes
Each bottle: 12.5g protein
4-6 bottles per day

So drinks alone Iā€™m getting around 100g Iā€™d I have 2 cups of coffee and 5 water bottles.

Then, I usually drink two protein shakes daily, so I keep them at the office and home, so the remainder of what does not go in my coffee, goes in my belly. Thatā€™s another 40g

Food
During the day Iā€™ll eat various foods. Some include:

Tuna, hickory smoked from the bag 18g protein
Low-fat cottage cheese, 29g per cup
Oatmeal with a scoop of vanilla protein powder, 15g protein

And so on :). Hope that helps a bit. Itā€™s nothing terribly exciting, but itā€™s how I keep those numbers high.

I need over 100g per day for my medical issues. I would not recommend the amount of protein i ingest TI someone else my size unless medically necessary :hugs:

Your workout routine sounds great to me!! What is your overall goal? That will dictate what you need to be doing. I do very little to no cardio. I pepper some weight loaded cardio in via intervals to her the heart rate up. I have a bad heart. At least 2 heart attacks that we know of.

With MyFitnessPal you can just enter your own stats and my use theirs. I eat frozen blueberries, so I scan the bag and itā€™s in there forever. It is a giant pain in the ass initially, but once your database is built up you can set up meals, multi-add and thatā€™s kind of thing :slight_smile:

I hope I didnā€™t miss anything, just let me know if I did. Iā€™m rushing so I can get my morning workout in :joy:

2 Likes

Oooh, and I wanted to add that I do 100% of my workouts at home. :muscle::heart:

1 Like

Well now what?? :thinking::older_woman:t2:

4 Likes

Not to worry! Just ā€œmake sure to keep your hair be away from the moving partā€

1 Like

Stay tuned for my update from the emergency room :joy::joy::joy:

I have a flat bench too. Thatā€™s more simple for we old folk to figure out. Sigh.

Hereā€™s an idea of some of the stuff I have at home. My place is tiny, but believe it or not it all of the stuff tucks away nicely when I put it away.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great! What do you call whatā€™s in the doorway? Nice that you can do everything ā€œin houseā€

Thatā€™s a pull-up assistance band. I can only do but so many unassisted pull-ups and chin-ups. Gradually I will remove bands until Iā€™m doing them all without. Some of the workouts I do require a lot of pull-ups/chin-ups and push-ups. Push-ups are not a problem. However, not long a go I would drop to the floor on the way down when even trying just one :joy:
Never in a million years would I think that I could bang them out. I just kept going and didnā€™t give up.

Now flexibility is my main challenge. Ayyyyyy itā€™s gotten bad over the years haha.

2 Likes

Aha! Youā€™re doing what Dr. Ashton does. I was amazed when I saw this video and saw her do this. If you canā€™t see it, sheā€™s lifting her self up on the bars.
Yay you!

1 Like