Do you ever just want to cry?

11 days sober. I thought the other night was a bad night. Last night was worse.
We came home from a game to discover one of the T’s (oldest) room had flooded worse then the day before. We found out water is coming up through the ground. So, we moved her upstairs to our guest room and it is now looking like she will be moving back upstairs into her old room. She is having mix emotions about this.
On top of that A (youngest) keeps going back and forth if he wants to go on a long trip tomorrow to stay with his grandparents for a week or two. So far…it’s a tie of going and not going.
I sat in my car this morning and just started to cry before I left for car pull. Thankfully, the kids were still inside getting ready. The moment I saw them I wiped my tears away, took a deep breath and fixed my makeup.

So, far my emotions have taken over in two stores and on drive thru Starbucks.

Anyone else deal with crazy emotions during the early days? Normally, I can handle this type of stuff pretty well but not today.

11 Likes

Sending you some big healing hugs :people_hugging:
Sorry your feeling up and down :star:
I can relate to how your feeling, glad you reached out here as we shouldn’t suffer in silence :people_hugging::people_hugging: hope the day goes easy on you.

6 Likes

That’s OK.
Get all that junk out

3 Likes

Great work on 11 days! You are doing amazing. With what’s going on, having a cry to yourself seems warranted. Big breaths. :people_hugging:

2 Likes

I can relate to your experience with emotional rollercoaster in early days of sobriety.

I my first 2 weeks I cried more than I had during my previous 30 years of alcohol addiction. Feeling every emotion instead of numbing them can feel overwhelming. But know that this is a normal part of healing.

And congratulations on 11 days, you’ve got this!

3 Likes

I regularly “just want to cry”. But I’ll admit that in early sobriety (for several months even) I would get an uncontrollable urge to cry for absolutely no reason.

My theory?

I drank for so many years to stuff down my emotions, once the alcohol was gone all those old emotions came back up.

My suggestion?

Let theses emotions happen. Feel all the feels. Soon they will work themselves out. Then after that do not be afraid of the emotions as they come. They help us work through events. Good and bad.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

7 Likes

+1 to @VSue’s response! And

I think, on the contrary, you are handling today very well. Handling difficulty well isn’t measured by how much you suppress its effect on you. Handling it well is about being able to face the reality and find a way to keep going. You’re not shutting off and grinding to a halt when emotions hit, you are experiencing them and resuming onward. This is healthy.

So if you need to cry, I would say cry! It can really help and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. You are doing fine. Experience the emotions, focus on coping in a healthy way. If alcohol was a crutch for coping before, as it was for many of us, getting through difficult emotions may look a bit different going forward.

(Talking about things is a good move, too! Glad to see you came here and posted)

If you feel like the emotions have run their course and you’re just struggling to get back to your regular pace, you can try going for a run. And I mean that really loosely. Some people might want to actually go on a proper workout kind of run. For me I’d just literally run around the block in whatever clothes I happen to be wearing, no prep. If I want to keep running I do so, otherwise I come back home. It’s just to get blood flowing, change the environment, change pace, reset things a little.

4 Likes

Emotions getting set off easily is definitely a thing in early recovery. If you need convincing, I could tell you about the time I (a fully grown man) ugly cried in public about buying gym shoes :smile:

3 Likes