Do you use other networks for recovery friends?

Feeling quite lonely, I’ll be 3 years this month and I wish I had more of a support group. Im having a hard time right now… Are there other networks you use and would recommend?

7 Likes

I don’t have another online social network I use. I do have a group of sober friends in my city that I met at my recovery group. We do a weekly breakfast and call each other (though in COVID now the breakfasts are virtual, over video call).

What’s been on your mind lately? What’s got you struggling?

3 Likes

Well I haven’t gotten over my breakup. That’s probably the main thing. And I kinda feel betrayed in the friend group I have. My feelings are just hurt.

2 Likes

Hi Chelsea, sorry for the late response, I went to bed :sleeping: I’m sorry I didn’t mention it yesterday, I saw your post and wanted to reply but also it was getting late and I had to get up early :innocent:

Breakups are so hard. When you have someone who’s so important to you and then you move on, it’s a loss - it’s grief. Were you guys together long?

1 Like

Thats okay. And well pretty much I met him right 1as I had finally grasped sobriety, and we spent every day together since so even tho it was 2 and a half years it felt much longer.

1 Like

I use AA, I have developed some great friendships. Heck, those that arent “close friends” come by work from time to time just to catch up.

2 Likes

I have participated at Women for Sobriety before (WFS) and also Soberistas. Both are female centric communities and I found helpful.

3 Likes

Oh I should look into that

2 Likes

I like Recovery Dharma. Other fellowships are available :laughing:

Some others here >> Resources for our recovery

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re feeling alone and need some connection. We are social creatures and need that social time! It’s amazing what we learn about ourselves when we become sober :joy:

For me some of my closest friends now are the ones I’ve made at recovery groups. There are so many programs to choose from. Walking that path and helping others to walk that path brings us together and over time we’ve taken walks and hikes, had BBQs (pre COVID).

Friends come and go, just naturally, I remember reading once that the average adult friendship has about a 5-year lifespan, normally because people move, circumstances change; it’s not usually personal just life. But we have a capacity to make new friends and it may be worth looking into that here.

Regardless you are a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life for yourself - and you are good enough, in and for yourself. You don’t need to be more worthy - you are already a good enough person for yourself.

Take care & keep us posted!

2 Likes