Does anyone ever feel like this?

Hey, I had to reset, but I made it 5 days! I had one beer, stopped there I usually don’t, anyways… I drank it, because well I get these feelings i don’t know if it’s normal, or anxiety, or even if it’s just a normal mom thing but I get these times where I don’t want anyone to touch me, not even like sit next to me and your elbow lightly touches me, my husband can’t lay his head on my shoulder, my son can’t sit or lean on me or else I feel disgusted, sometimes even irrationally angry.
Does anyone else feel like that?

3 Likes

Hi Harvey,

I’m glad you are with us here! Although you did slip, it sounds like you are starting to realize that sobriety is better than whatever alcohol promises but never delivers.

I am not a parent but my friend went through something similar and called it being “touched out.” Here’s an interesting article that talks about how it’s normal and why people might feel this way. I’m sure people on here who are parents (especially moms) will have more to say.

I’m glad it was just one beer this time and you came back. Maybe next time, come here and post first instead of picking up.

Edited to add: 5 days is great!! Keep going!! :tada::tada:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s quite normal to have these feelings as a mother especially when kids and husband seem to be clingy. It’s totally normal for mothers to want personal space. Drinking causes anxiety. There are numerous studies and science to back that up. Glad you are making a decision to get sober. It’s a great way to live, and your kids will cherish having a present mom.

3 Likes

Remember also that abstaining from alcohol may also heighten those feelings of anxiety for a little while. Keep pushing through though. You will never know the benefits of being sober until you stay sober!

3 Likes

Hey im not a parent but trust me its normal best thing to do is find a activity to be occupied and feel good about being productive gives you the break you need from people to get back to feeling normal best of luck

1 Like

I love that article! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

That can happen when hormonal levels spike. I would probably keep a log to see if there’s a pattern and possibly take it to your pcp.

Hang in there and don’t give up! We’ve all tried and failed but sobriety IS obtainable :heart:

1 Like

I think it’s normal. My Dr. prescribed me an antianxiety months ago but I never took it. Now, as i stopped drinking I have started taking this med. I think that without the meds, i wouldnt probably be able to quit.