Does having an addictive personality and the current focus being alcohol truly mean I’m an alcoholic?

So I was talking to a close friend yesterday about my ability to quit things and move onto something else pretty easily. I’m aware I have an addictive personality overall and have quit drinking, smoking, hell really anything before for extended amounts of time.

That being said, I’ve always wondered if I’m truly an alcoholic since anything I focus on becomes my new found addiction. I’ve been diagnosed with alcohol abuse in the past and generally struggle with an ‘all of nothing attitude’ with things and people. It’s annoying work tbh. :roll_eyes:

I guess the overall question bumping around in my head is this: if I can quit drinking without wanting it daily, does that make me an alcoholic? Like I’m aware I’m a shit drunk but I’ve always struggled with this string of thoughts/questions.

:upside_down_face: Either way I’m quitting drinking and taking this seriously this time around, I just struggle to feel like I belong here or anywhere really.

11 Likes

Yes you are, since posted about going through withdrawals and changing your environment to stay sober.

Also, your post history indicates a larger struggle to stay sober.

If you switch Doc’s constantly that would mean for me personally, the term alcoholic is not broad enough.

I’d say drug addict is more fitting, since it fits a larger unbrella with multiple substances.

In germany, we’d say polytox. Don’t know if you have a similar term that would apply. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If you’re on a sobriety forum asking this question you already have the answer. I’ve never met a non-alcoholic who asked that question

13 Likes

Many of us ask ourselves these questions in our early days but Does it really matter what title you give it ? If you want to say you have an addictive personality instead it doesn’t change that you struggle to control your alcohol consumption. Many of us alcoholics have abused other substances over the years as well. I have dosed, snorted & smoked just about everything possible but I’m Still also an alcoholic …

10 Likes

The AA book clarifies anything beyond 2 drinks as alcoholic. There are those that take the ball and run but I honestly consider them idiots when they glorify their doom. The bar is low because people like us do exist and without monitoring it’ll be worse in the future.

I am a 7 year sober guy drink and drunk 1-3 as needed then well the odd thirst gets me well 12 pint nights happen. I have hit my window to stop and have but I don’t like my sober moments while drinking I feel far more spiteful than I usually am. If you want to use, no one’ll stop you but when you are ready to get off the bus long term sobriety is a real blessing.

2 Likes

I never wanted to drink daily, nor did I have to drink daily or even weekly at times. But man, I sure knew alcohol was a problem for me. I knew that practically from the beginning when I was a teen and started drinking. I also have an addictive personality, I am (or have been) obsessive about just about everything and yes was able to switch from one substance to another. I was also ‘functional’…raising my daughter, paying my bills, getting a degree, buying a house, always employed, all the ‘adult’ things. Idk people are different.

But generally I think if we are honest with ourselves we know if we have a problematic relationship with alcohol…whether we call ourselves an alcoholic or not. Here we all are on a sobriety forum, so we also have that in common.

9 Likes

This place is called Talking Sober. You’re working on living sober. You belong. The label doesn’t matter. Glad to have you aboard friend. Personally I switched DOC’s a couple of times over 40 years of substance abuse, and have some other maladaptive coping mechanisms to deal with life as well. Which I am working on, since I got sober. One day at a time. We’re human beings.

10 Likes

I like how other people on here put it simply. I always say the substance doesn’t matter and neither does the label. The thing that matters is recognition. People often get caught up in trading addictions. They go from alcohol to pills and then pills to weed and then weed back to alcohol or whatever it is they do. Bottom line is that it’s usually pretty easy to tell when you have a problem if you’re being honest. My advice is stay sober and grow in sobriety. You learn a lot about yourself and why you gravitate to unhealthy coping mechanisms and destructive behaviors.

4 Likes

I used to avoid the term “alcoholic” and looked down on those who couldn’t handle their drink.

Of course, in the end, the drink handled me like it does so many others.

Now I’m proud to say the hardest thing I’ve ever done is get and stay sober.

Everything in my life is better without alcohol.

4 Likes