Does the Big Book need a 5th edition?

This topic isn’t to stir the pot, it’s a genuine thread and question to get others opinions on the issue.

I haven’t got a resentment against the program or book as it works but I just feel it needs changing in line with the current world we live in today.

I quite often get into verbal confrontations with older men in the groups when I reword the book using gender neutral language when I do a reading. Maybe I do it on purpose to bait a reaction off them or maybe that’s what I think?

2 Likes

You should do one mate :ok_hand:

For me the book shouldnt be altered ive the third addition printed in 1976 at that time there was one million membership .the number of personal stories in this addition was increased to forty four . basic text to 164 remains unchanged dont think id change it since it was printed in 1939 . Russell idiot Brand changed the 12 steps to suit him . if it works leave it alone my own opinion , keep on trucking

6 Likes

No. I think it opens up a slippery slope.I’m for inclusivity and diversity, but I feel like this is one of those things to just leave alone. It’s a non fiction self help guide written in the 1930s , let’s accept it for what is?

6 Likes

I believe if one is reading a book, the book should be read as written. If one wants to write a new book, go ahead.

6 Likes

I wouldnt mind it written in more modern english but that would make all the effort I have made to understand what they are saying a waste of time.

I had to do the work to understand it. So should everybody else!:rofl:

It would be a bit confusing with new book thumpers and old book thumpers.

If it isnt broke, dont fix it.

4 Likes

My two cents: leave the first 164 alone, shuffle up them stories! A few new, edit a few old, let’s modernize the back end where we can!

4 Likes

It does say in the txt there not bothered what creed colour religion or lack or religion etc so I feel that covers it I agree story’s should be updated but the txt shoukd stay, ( my personal view)

2 Likes

John Barleycorn, lol. There are so many book thumpers in AA, I doubt if they could agree to alter the book for gender neutral terms or modernized language. But language is fluid and once a new edition is published, it would be out-of-date.

2 Likes

Just saw this so there are very small changes happening in the background but as a whole the book should be lefr as it was written in my personal opinion. Have a blessed day

1 Like

Can we all just agree that “To the Wives” is a useless chapter :joy:

8 Likes

An epic demonstration of feet of clay. Written by a philanderer posing as a wife. Pffft.

2 Likes

This was the exact thought I had when I clicked on this thread.

2 Likes