Does true love actually exist anymore?šŸ¤”

Falling in loveā€¦ Nice isnā€™t it? But in this new era of social media or selfie culture, can this truly be attainable in such a climate? I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever met ā€œthe oneā€ in my life. Iā€™m 36. Been married too. Many relationships, and yes I can say I loved all of them fore sure, but was it true love? My parentā€™s will see their 50th anniversary soon. My grandparents did too. But it seems like those long term marraige relaitionshps are fading away. I have my own conclusions why this has happened. But what are your opinions?

6 Likes

I definitely was in love with my husband.
Afterwards, not like that.šŸ¤·

2 Likes

Yes it does. I have it. But itā€™s not only about excitement and passion. We also build up - together and have respect to each other, itā€™s very important. We help to each other, we donā€™t competite as many couples do. His win is my win, too. If I see him smiling and happy, itā€™s melting my heart. We donā€™t have space for being jealous because we trust to each other, nor for arguments, we communicate, listen and always remember that weā€™re in love :heart:
I met him and he showed me all these amazing feelings :heart::heart::heart: I am in very happy relationship which is not poisoned. Itā€™s put choice. We both have social media but it doesnā€™t mean that we must do any nasty things.
Remember that if you want to have a partner who will respect and love you, first you need to respect and love yourself. Just after I changed my behaviour and got mine value I could meet a partner who is the same like me :wink:

12 Likes

I donā€™t know if it does. I once thought I found it but gotā€¦how to explain thatā€¦he threw me away like an used tissue. And immediately had the next woman at his side.
Guys want to have some kind of ā€œrelationship lightā€. Letā€™s be friends and share the bed but not more. Iā€™d really like to fall in love again but there simply is noone whoā€™s interested in growing a deep true love. Thatā€™s sad.
And the selfie-culture is just sooo annoying!

5 Likes

My parents also saw their 50th anniversary before his passing, and my grandparents my dads parents were married 60+ yearsā€¦and yes I believe I true love. But I havenā€™t found that one person yet. I may not either. Iā€™m 47 years old, ill be 48 in a month, and Iā€™m not looking for that person either. Iā€™ve had enough looking, Iā€™m working on just getting better for myself and taking life one day at a time.

6 Likes

Ha, I did :sweat_smile: Not esp. Tinder but some other apps. It was a desaster! I was a magnet for 55-60yo men. Not my target group :grimacing:

2 Likes

Been with my wife thirty years next year. Been married 17.
Our relationship has changed over the years. What was once young love has become something else.
Yes there is a small amount of comfortableness involved and other times thereā€™s still lust.
Obviously my getting sober has added another dimension to our relationship, one that is still growing.
Will we last? The gods and the universe only know that answer. But I feel we are enjoying it while we can.
I hope anyway :smiley:

5 Likes

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Rain 666ā€¦ TINDER IS NO BUENOšŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Exactamente :laughing:

1 Like

I believe that it does exist, but many people have a false idea of what that means. Itā€™s not all violins and fireworks. There isnā€™t ā€œthe oneā€ to the exclusion of being able to love anyone else - thereā€™s the one you choose to love every day despite the hardships that come your way.
Honestly it kind of reminds me of the AA motto ā€œit works - if you work itā€. I think many people these days arenā€™t interested in putting in the work. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a response to the instant gratification of cell phone and social media culture, or if itā€™s simply a change in social expectation and remaining single is more accepted, or something else. Probably a combination of those and many other things.
But yes, I do personally think real love is possible. Been with my partner for 18 years now (Iā€™m 37). It definitely hasnā€™t been easy, but itā€™s worth it.

8 Likes

Great share.
I am lucky enough to have a love like that too.
We are the lucky ones!

5 Likes

I believe true love exists, but I am an old romantic. Media portrays true love as singing and dancing couples doing the karma sutra every night (definitely not after kids). Love Actually is one of my favourite films, yes we can all daydream, but in reality relationships need to be nourished to grow and love will grows with it. True love is about respect, trust and honesty. Itā€™s about allowing each other to be equal and accepting their flaws, working through the bad times and enjoying the good. No one should disrespect, bully, abuse or control another person, this isnā€™t love. Donā€™t let bad experiences put you off. Love is contagious, love yourself and others will follow. :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Yes :heart: Although timing is not always right.

2 Likes

first marriage lasted 13 years my drinking days unlucky for me lol , my second marriage 26 years double that sober , my mum and dad 50 years , my twin bro who passed away last week 44 years married

3 Likes

Yes. I believe it does. Iā€™m 31. I experience it everyday. I still love my lady after 9 years. Although my actions and decision making have allowed her & otherā€™s to question that - I know how deeply I love her and how proud I am of her. Sheā€™s ticks all the boxesā€¦except empathy towards druggie alcos who fuck their lives up repeatedly.

There might not be ā€œthe oneā€. Instead there may be ā€œthe manyā€ - one of which you will find some day. Most likely when you stop looking.

All the best.

M.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your twin brother, Ray. That is very sad. Sending you hugs.

1 Like

yes, it does exist, and I have had it for 21 years.

The thing is, true love is action, not feeling. It is a verb, not a noun. When you love through actions, the ones you love feel contented, appreciated, respected, valued, cherished, desired. When they love through action, you feel all those things.

5 Likes

My 2 centsā€¦

Our generation is brought up in a different Era. Then our folk.
We donā€™t seem to be easy able to accept characterflaws we desire an Neverending growth.

Now I am working on the steps I am learning to accept and to live and love myself with my defects. I aspire to be in an relationship in which there is room for flaws, room for speaking your mind an acceptance towards one another. For me that would be true love. True love is not perfect love and we as a generation seem to crave perfection.

2 Likes