Don't take it for granted

I went to an AA meeting tonight. Wednesday night we have a Big Book study. For those of you that don’t know, that’s what we call the Alcoholic’s Anonymous book. We’re reading through the stories right now. More specifically, page 219.

Essentially, this guy is telling us about his rock bottom. He’s lost his new wife, numerous jobs, he’s been evicted. The year is 1938. This guy is 39 years old and moves back to his mother’s house. At this point in history AA hasn’t been officially named yet but alcoholics are seeking recovery and helping each other out. A man comes to talk to him. The man’s name was Jackie. Jackie later becomes his sponsor. In the story, Jackie relapses and dies of alcoholism. This man, Jackie, was a sponsor.

This story really struck a nerve with me. It made me realize how fragile our lives really are. That I shouldn’t take my sobriety or recovery for granted because it could end me up in a grave. That’s a scary thought. I have my house in order for the most part. I’m not afraid of dying but I definitely dont want to die a victim to my addiction.

Please don’t take it for granted. Your life, your sobriety, your recovery. We all deserve happy sober lives. It’s not always going to be easy to reset or start back at Day 1. You may not have another chance at sobriety. That’s all it could take for me. One last drink, one last high…not because I chose sobriety but because I thought that i could reset but never lived long enough to.

14 Likes

An AA old timer told me once “I know I’ve got one more drunk in me but I’m not sure if I’ve got one more recovery in me”. I kepp that in mind if I’m tempted.

13 Likes

Wise words, indeed!

3 Likes

Incontestable

1 Like

Great share Jette. So true. It’s great watch your growth.:grinning:

1 Like

I know I sure as hell don’t have another detox or early recovery in me. Helps keep me moving forward when things get rough. My biggest fear in recovery is complacency, feeling like “I got this.” I got a lot of things, but never will I have this one. I have to adapt everyday.

Great share friend!

6 Likes

This is so important. Thank you Jette.
Apparently, my son told his girlfriend that he was going to get high one last time and then seek detox and treatment in the morning.
As you know, that morning never came for him.
Our sobriety is precious because the reality is harsh.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear of your son … :frowning:

2 Likes

Well said Frank thats why ive never had a reason to go back out plenty of excuses but no reason keep on trucking

1 Like

Reality is most definitely harsh but we need to be reminded of it sometimes. I’m so sorry about your son. In my life, playing around with my sobriety and recovery isn’t much different than playing Russian Roulette. I’m grateful for every day that I wake up healthy and sober

3 Likes