DOUBLE. DIGiTS(10 days soberr)

It’s been a loooong ten days. With day 5 and 9 being my hardest days yet, but I reached DOUBLE DIGITS TODAY! 10 days sober. I MADE IT. I’ve had too many urges to keep track of… I have to tell my lifelong best friend today that I can’t attend her bachelorette party. ( I am part of the wedding party) She doesn’t really know about my alcohol problem, def not the extent of it. She knows I try to avoid alcohol… but I know she’s going to say “oh you can come! just not drink!” Well that would be lovely if it was possible but I KNOW for 1,000% fact that that is NOT what would end up happening. I’m just going to tell her I love you, this is my own shit and I know it’s not possible for me. Wish me luck, it’s causing me quite a bit of anxiety. BUT I don’t want to keep putting it off.

18 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Hey congratulations on 10 days sober!!! This has always been one of my very favorite milestones because it was one of the hardest to get. You battle like hell for those first 10. Guess what??? You never have to go through those first 10 again AND it gets easier and WAY better!

Remember you are not being deprived of alcohol, alcohol was depriving you. Best wishes and good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Way to go with your double digits! That is impressive work.

Wishing you luck with the conversation. You have to put yourself and your sobriety first as you alone know the extent of your struggles. I know our loved ones sometimes cant understand as they may not have seen how deep our addiction went. Sending you calming vibes to soothe the anxiety. I’m sure a good friend would understand your journey and encourage it as well :heart:

2 Likes

Yay! Congratulations to DOUBLE DIGITS!

I hope the conversation goes well.

1 Like

Congrats on 10days. Do what you need to protect your sobriety! Those early days are crucial. Dont borrow anxiety from tomorrow but be firm andTell her you are avoiding alcohol and will be horribly uncomfortable around people getting drunk. Hopefully she will be a good friend and understand. No is a full sentence

2 Likes

Congrats on 10 days! Each day sober is such a treasure! Even at where I’m at in my journey which I won’t rain on your wonderful achievement by talking about my own, I still look at each day the same way I did at day 1 and day 10 and everyday since then. I still have days where I feel overwhelmed and the urge to drink hits once in a while. But my mind instantly revisits the person I was and I know I’m not that person anymore. I’ve changed and the more treasures you add to your chest the more you’ll feel the same way. I read somewhere it takes a long time to rewire the brain from addiction but the longer you persevere and stay the course the more your brain and your body don’t want the old life anymore. It’s like you become a warrior guarding your treasure from those who try to steal it away.

As for the social situations it really is about knowing yourself and what you’re capable of. The people who love and care about you truly will understand. You’ll lose some relationships not because anything you did wrong but mostly because people see you making a change they probably wish they could make themselves. I’ve found some people get inspired by my journey and have watched them choose sobriety and others be resentful to me because they’re unhappy with themselves. It’s all part of a beautiful journey that is your story to write! Wishing you all the best one day at a time!

1 Like

Congratulations on your 10 days sober Snailer :boom:
Hardest ten days of my life. So happy I never ever have to do that again.

This is a great idea. You must be very serious about your sobriety. That’s exactly what it takes to get and stay sober. Good for you.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Thank you all SO MUCH!!! I am serious about my sobriety. It’s been a long time coming. I’m facing some frustrating road blocks tonight that are making me want to run out & get a bottle. But I’m safe & sober at home for the evening. Your guys words have helped me so much I can’t even explain it!! I didn’t get a chance to talk to my friend today, but between this evening and tomorrow I will. I’ll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for just being here :heart:

6 Likes

Glad to hear that you are safe at home for the evening. We are here if you need to vent out your urges or frustrations. I know life being lifey can be a bit much at time. :hugs: You are doing a great job on pushing past the urges!

2 Likes

Keep us posted about the talk with your friend about the party and good of you to do so.
I avoided all alcohol related friend/places and events for a while as well. It helped me to get trough the tough first months.
Congratulations for the double digits!! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

1 Like

Awesome achievement - 10 day (11 actually by now) is really great. Well done @Snailer.26 Keep moving forward and keep making your sobriety a priority. :muscle:

1 Like