Dreaming of drinking and getting stoned

10 days no alcohol or weed. However im having vivid dreams where im drunk and getting stoned ! Is this my mind playing tricks on me and will these dreams eventually go away?

12 Likes

Completely normal, those dreams. They will become less frequent and less intense. The body is a wonderful machine. We experienced everything from that haze for so long, it is no wonder that our brains need to re-set and withdraw little by little from those old thought patterns.

You deserve a sober life, and 10 days is a freakin’ awesome start!

5 Likes

Thank you for that! I appreciate it :pray:

If you use the :mag: icon and search you can find many threads about these pesky dreams. I’ve had a few recently and I’m over two years sober. Drinking or using was a part of our lives, so memories and thoughts of drinking are just in our subconscious and will appear in dreams. Just enjoy that feeling of relief when you realise it isn’t real.

8 Likes

Hello. This is actually extremely normal. I’ve been in recovery for 3 years & 7 months & I still have dreams like this once in a blue moon. I don’t believe they ever go away entirely, but they become rare at some point. I know that they suck real bad. I’m always super relieved to wake & know that I did not actually relapse! I actually haven’t smoked cigarettes in 8 years & 11 months & I even have dreams about smoking cigarettes once in a great while. Those dreams are just as stressful. You’re doing great. Congratulations. These dreams are simply a side effect.

3 Likes

Yup
Remember, this TOO shall pass

1 Like

Yip they will pass today i have dreams but drink dosnt play a part in them .

2 Likes

As @Misokatsu noted, it’s a very common thing. You are not alone!

I’ve added the #drinking-dreams tag at the top. If you click through it, you’ll find a handful of threads of people talking their experience with it as well.

2 Likes

Yknow, I’ve probably mentioned it in one of those other threads. My own thoughts having experienced it as well…

As I got sober, it took a while for my sleep to adjust back to normal. Weeks, maybe months even. Slowly it got better and I slept more regularly and soundly.

The body is physiologically healing, so it’s not strange to have bumpy sleeps for a while. That can mean crazy dreams.

Then it’s also not unusual for our subconscious to dwell on the thing we’re likely the most focused on: Staying sober!

Dreams aren’t actions though. Remember. You are safe. You are sober.

With time as I worked my recovery and some things became more second nature, and sleep stabilized, it got easier. The dreams far fewer and farther between.

Keep on keeping on, my friend. :v:

1 Like

Thank you for that your right i have now come to realise that these things take time and time is also a great healer!

1 Like

They usually become less frequent and go away over time.

1 Like