Dreams about drinking/using

Trigger warning: talking about alcohol consumption/abuse

hi again guys! I have a little over 5 months under my belt! :heart: thank you all so much for your support.
just wanted to talk about others experience coping with dreams about abusing/using. I have had them occasionally during recovery, but not for a while until last night.
they always are pretty intense and emotional; and I always wake up half asleep, convinced that I broke sobriety. it’s crazy what your mind can recreate for you. the sensations and feelings of being drunk were recreated, and I even “blacked out” during my dream.
I know this is just normal, and my mind is obviously still coping with years of guilt over my alcohol and drug abuse. although they aren’t fun, a small silver lining is that if I am ever doubting my choice to be sober, the horrible feeling I experience realizing I have broken it (within my dream) is enough to make me continue to abstain.

anyone else have similar experiences?

3 Likes

Been having quite a few myself lately. Just about at 45 days (tonight) with no booze. Not sure how to interpret them quite yet myself. Dreaming I’m “missing out” or need to get back in the game and I’ll be good this time… definitely weird. Just goin to try and stay strong, hope the same for you as well :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

Like wow i had one this morning… It was weird. You know when you dont want to do something in a dream but it keeps going and you cant do anything about it … it sucks ! But anyways a cool experience , since it was basically like that when i wasn’t dreaming (or was i :grinning:) and kept on drinking even when i didn’t want to …
Wow , is this all a dream man :rofl: ?

Im 4 months and some days sober…

Oh , im so happy ive found sometging that works wonderfully !

1 Like

yeah mine usually start out as “fun” in like a party situation, and then by the end of it full of regrets - much like my real life relationship with alcohol lol :joy:

I would like to help but a lot of people complain about these dreams but I love em, the realness, the feelings. I get to drink and smoke with no side effects with the added bonus of a little reminder of the shame I would feel if I did it in real life.

2 Likes

no shame in that!

1 Like

I like the feeling when I realise it was only in my dream. I dreamed about smoking heroin a few nights ago. I’ve never even smoked brown!

1 Like

I have had two in this month. They were more like nightmares for me this time around. And the last one I could remember every little detail for about the next three days it was so surreal.

1 Like