Dreams of relapsing/using

Anyone ever have periods of time when you dream about using or relapsing?

Mine often happen when I’m going through some rough stuff or have been to in my head a ton and when during my waking hours all I want is to drink but don’t. In my dreams I do. I end up waking up so pissed some days and others not so much.

I’ve definitely had dreams where I’m using or my friends are. They make me feel regretful, but ultimately in happy knowing it wasn’t real! Surprisingly the dreams I have been having about drugs are me being reluctant or rejecting them so I’m thankful for that. Dreams are powerful though! I don’t envy people who deal with nightmares :frowning:

Hey @Cass. Many people out here have had dreams about drinking or using, then waking top guilty that they drank! I have especially at first. Both my counselor and Dr. said they are common and expected and nothing to be concerned about.

Yas! Sometimes I’ll go weeks without having them and then boom, they’re back again. I just had one 2 nights ago where I was slowly drinking bourbon. I drank 1 glass and told myself that it didn’t count. And then a few hours later I was taking a few sips of a beer. I still wake up confused and mad at myself before I realize it was just a dream.

I had a weird dream recently where I was drinking vodka but didn’t swallow it and spit it out. However, I could still feel the familiar burning sensation in my throat. It felt very real. I don’t pay much attention to these dreams and let them come if they so desperately want to lol. I ain’t gonna drink so nice try. :laughing:

Ive had 2 since I stop using. I wake up in a panic thinking ,oh shit not again. The first one the bartender wouldn’t serve me but I ended up at home sneaking bottles. The second it ended with me in a hotel room being dragged to a rehab. They felt all to real. But those dreams keep me in check, letting me know that i will always be that close to going back to the way things were.

I have drinking/using dreams a fair bit. I’m currently on day 36 being clean and sober. They are extremely intense and real and sometimes I think I actually did because it was so intense. People in my NA groups also mention their dreams and wonder if they actually did or not, for me to wonder that it’s because before I came to recovery I had frequent and long period blackouts. I have noticed I have these dreams when I’m struggling, stuck in my head, craving, or if I’m worried about someone. I’m certain a friend went out and relapsed and I dreamt about her using and me witnessing it. When I tried to run away from it, my car was broken in the dream and I was stuck. I actually expressed my concerns in my waking life about her possibly relapsing and she found out. She got angry and removed me from her life. I was terrified I was going to have dreams of her using again last night but through meditation and reaching out I was able to have a solid sleep with no memorable dreams.

I have dreams maybe once a week. The last one was a few days ago. I dreamt that I just reached my 30 days and decided to drink beers for some friend’s event, like a birthday or something. I rationalized that I had reached 30 days and wasn’t alcoholic so the night of beers didn’t count. I had to convince myself that it was just a dream and not another blackout. It was pretty unnerving and I kept thinking about the dream all day. So glad it was just a dream.

1 Like

I need to talk about this too. I have gone almost 60 days now and just recently had a vivid using dream so much so it woke me out of bed breathless. Its not my first rodeo, it rocks me to my core, it scares me, it disturbs me. Through past experiences it has lead me to use again…For me could it be a sign of things to come again, i dont know …I stay vigilant now and remind myself its only a dream. Could it be the demons wanting me back or torturing me through my dreams kind of like telling me im there prisoner and i will never escape. That won’t happen. I personally wont take it lightly. Talking about it with someone who understands helps. Getting by the next day is a little rough but after that im back in my zone and going strong. I expect them to happen once and awhile so knowing this gives me the upper hand.

The first time I tried to go sober (I made it to 29 days) I had many, many dreams about people trying to tempt me into drinking. I dreamed about getting upset and walking to a bar, but stopping myself from drinking. On the 28th night I had a dream about fighting with my boyfriend and I angrily walked over to a cabinet and downed a glass of whiskey.

That was the first time I gave in in my dreams. When I woke up I was so disappointed with myself that I caved in real life too.

1 Like

i had one today

1 Like

Funny thing is, I find it harder to quit drink instead of quitting meth. But I have meth dreams every now and then. Seems odd, like it should be the way around.