Drinking in a dream

When you are learning a language they say when you dream in that language you are mastering that language. Last night i had a dream i was hanging with friends and after a glass of ice tea i ended up deciding to have a glass of wine (in the dream).

As I was drinking the wine in the dream i began to feel guilty. I began to try and open the app to see how many sober days i just lost. I couldn’t get the app open and just continued to feel more guilty…

Waking up this morning made me open the app and see I’m on day 120. I was glad it was only a dream.

9 Likes

Drinking/ using dreams are super common. Im on day 105 and i still have em. Not as frequently as the first month but i have em. I always wake up with the overwhelming feeling of guilt! Youre certianly not alone. Im told they pass in time. I love when i have them now, it reminds me of how much shame and guilt ill have to face if i actually relapse! Hang in there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better

5 Likes

That’s a very good way to look at them. I still hate them. I just don’t like waking up hyperventilating with heart palpitations.

But thankfully I have not had a SINGLE drinking dream this go 'round. I wonder if it is because my attitude towards recovery has changed this time. In my previous attempts it was all about abstaining. I mean, at the time I was sure I was doing more than just abstaining but looking back on it that was all I did. That created a mentality of “what am I giving up”. This time I’m looking at more like “what am I gaining in my life”. Maybe that is keeping me from having these dreams. (That isn’t to say that I don’t have temptations in my waking hours…I think that will be there for a LONG time.)

3 Likes

Ahhh thats makes sense!!! The last little while ive been less focused on my recovery!!! Not in a bad way its just at first it was ALL i ever thought or talked about. Latley ive still been vigilant but just focusing on more things in my life that bring me joy and just enjoying my life instead of exerting all my energy on not drinking or using!

2 Likes

That’s one of the best ways I’ve heard it put.

1 Like

I interpret my dream to me as it becoming my lifestyle. The perceived “enjoyment” of a drink seems to be getting over powered by the guilt i may feel if/when i dont stop at the one. Ans breaking rhe streak. I am a major goal setter and achiever. So i made a goal for myself to see how many days can i be sober. That is the same as how many miles can i run this year for me.

1 Like

It’s funny you say that because there have been times where I’ve tried to slow down or stop in the past and I would have dreams where I’d cave in and drink. And I felt like crap in the dream because I gave in. To feel guilt in a dream is probably a sign that we really want to make real life changes.

1 Like

I just had one two nights ago. In my dream I was so upset I was drinking but I couldn’t stop myself. I hated how I was feeling. When I woke up I was so relieved it was just a dream and it solidified how happy I am to be sober. 41 days today :blush:

1 Like

Nothing quite like the feeling of relief waking up sober and hangover free!!

1 Like

Had a dream about a new acquaintance making me some nice, fluffy, heroin pancakes. I’m still in withdrawal. At what point do the dreams stop? I always get some weird imagery like this, and it doesn’t make me want it less.

Overall I’m dreaming a lot more since I’ve been sober, or at least remembering them more. Not all of mine are bad–some are certainly stress-induced–but the common thread is that they’ve been…strange.