Drinking in the house

Hi!
So I just successfully got over two days when people were drinking around me. We still have some wine and lots of beers in the fridge and it’s not tempting me at all. Great feeling though :wink:

The story is that that we had a family visitors coming for a lunch on Friday and it was triggering me a little bit when they sat at the table, opened the bottle of red and started drinking. I immediately remembered all of those “good” moments from the time when I would be drinking in the garden and having BBQ in the hot sunny summer day. I felt sadness that I’m not going to repeat such days anymore and jealous that those people can. After a very long time I doubted my sobriety.
But then it happened: After a couple of drinks they decided that it was enough and they stopped drinking :scream: There was still left plenty of alcohol in the fridge. This definitely wouldn’t happen to me lol.
I imagined myself having a drink and how the day would go on. I clearly saw that two or three glasses of the wine wouldn’t satisfy me at all. First of all - I’d drink it faster than they did :smile: And I’d not like the idea that they didn’t continue drinking until there is nothing left. It means that I would end up drinking by myself or going elsewhere ( like to the pub, bar, club, etc. if it would be open). And of course I’d drink until I’m drunk and tired or blackout.
I wouldn’t feel good the following day (actually I can imagine that I’d be pretty sick after 9 months of sobriety) and I’d have regrets.

Playing the tape like this helped me a lot (like for many times before) and I didn’t have cravings since then at all. Neither yesterday when another friends came and had some beers.
I can say that I still enjoyed the company and I had a good time. It’s so liberating not to need an alcohol in my life anymore :blush:

35 Likes

Way to go girl!! :raised_hands:t3::partying_face:

@Jana1988 you are such an inspiration to me. You are so strong :muscle:t3: :heart_eyes:

Glad you had a great weekend with friends and family remaining sober. X

4 Likes

I feel that 100. Yes a couple is never enough. I caught myself thinking several times when I drank, why is there never enough beer. I had a bff that drank equally as much as i dd and the same way. We dont hang out since I’ve stopped drinking because I cant handle how he gets trashed. I hope to be able to get to the point where I’m able to be comfortable around ppl when they’re casually drinking. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Omg
This I can so relate to this completely
This is pretty much me when I was drinking I would not stop until I was drunk or blackout

I can now use this thought like you have and play it like a tape in my head
I am day 8 feeling amazing
Yesterday was a little test as my next door neighbour’s were throwing a party and they were pretty up until early hours this morning I slept through it but other neighbour’s didn’t
So I woke this morning feeling amazing feeling free
And read this post from @Jana1988 and it made me feel I ain’t alone in the way I feel or have behaved with alcohol
You have inspired me to think about what I would do if I had one and the reality of it …that’s the point it wouldn’t be just one …I am and never will be a person who can have alcohol in my life

I just want to thank you @Jana1988 for telling your story and basically how you deal with it I can completely relate
This post alone has taught me alot
I thank you

3 Likes

Thank you very much @Shell1 ! :hugs:
There is nothing more amazing than knowing that somebody read my “story” and it helped in some way :heart: I am so glad that you could find an inspiration! It’s heart warming to know this.

I wish you all the best on your way through sober life. It is much better life than the one I lived before. There couldn’t be anything better than to finish the nightmare and stop drinking. Alcohol brings nothing what we could be missing. It’s only in our heads to think that it was alcohol who brought all the fun to our nights out or to the time with friends. It’s a lie and you’ll be able to see it by the time :blush:

3 Likes

I’m not jealous of those who drink, because in order to envey them, I would have to believe that I actually lost something. When I quit, I lost nothing, and even better yet, I gained freedom of mind, body, and spirit.

3 Likes

My mindset is the same. But sometimes my cheeky brain create an events in my memories which looks good and it always looks like I’m missing something for very first moment. But after playing tape and remembering what has alcohol ever brought into my life (nothing good) I always realise that it’s just an illussion. If I’ve ever had a great moments when drinking it was never because of the drink. It would be because of the company or the place. Drink would eventually destroy all because I’d get too drunk or I wouldn’t even remember most of it.

:wink:

3 Likes

Great post, hit the nail on the head. :wink::+1:

1 Like