Drinks to help with alcohol cravings

What are some drinks that help when you crave alcohol? I am trying sparkling water tonight and it is not cutting it. I am craving a beer soooo bad. I am almost to day 5 and want to keep reaching my goals. But man this is ROUGH!

5 Likes

Red bulls help with me personally :smiley:

2 Likes

I drink bang energy drinks. But maybe I need a RedBull lol. I just dont want something at night that will keep me awake for hours.

1 Like

I definitely get that, maybe root beer? Or orange pop?

I have some Sprite. But it just doesn’t seem to help. :sob:

1 Like

Flavored sparkling waters, root beer, hot herbal tea have helped me. Sometimes I just have to sit with the craving and let it pass on its own. The early days are tough!

3 Likes

The one I had was a peach flavored one. It was okay. But still struggling. I may just have to let it pass like you’ve said.

2 Likes

It gets better. I know you can do it!

1 Like

For me those first couple weeks anything with sugar helped a lot. It helps so much. Sprite,Juice, candy. That’s just what worked for me and was an old-school trick I learned from someone along time ago … Also honey will help with cravings.

4 Likes

Calm magnesium drink takes the edge off for me.

1 Like

I brew a reeeeaaaaallly strong batch of rooibos tea, extra milk, a lil honey, drink the whole pot. Relaxes literally everything :heart:

1 Like

Strong cocoa (like 2 heaped tablespoons, sweeten / milk to taste - choc full of magnesium

1 Like

I love that suggestion! I’ve used that myself! I forgot about it thanks for the reminder. The caffeine and sugar drinks just give me more anxiety and make me crave alcohol more.

1 Like

Yes! I tried the energy drinks but they made me feel bad and anxious. Calm is nice and relaxing. Plus, it’s good for other areas of your body and cleanses the liver. I have a glass every night before bed. Puts me at ease. It’s a win/win!

1 Like

I dont know if this is a bad suggestion, but what about mocktails? I love a Mai Tai mocktail! Makes me feel fancy, and gives me something to sip on! I drank them when I was pregnant. Lol

1 Like

That’s a true individual thing. For someone struggling with cravings, I’d be reluctant to suggest mocktails or NA beer, etc. The taste may only make the cravings worse rather than help develop new ones.

I like sparkling water, but if the OP doesn’t like that, a sugary drink might be a decent idea to start with.

First month’s of sobriety I found a little bit of sugar helped when I was feeling… I dunno, weird?

Just tricky not letting that get out of control too. Still better than drinking though!

2 Likes

1 Like

You can get the kite drinks on Amazon, not sure if you can get these anywhere where you are. I know adaptogen is kind of a buzz word, but I think they are really helping me. Especially ashwaganda.

Thank you @Sarahm1991 for reminding me about Calm magnesium. I usually get mine from the health food store but I think they sell it at Walmart too. What is your favourite flavor? I haven’t had it in so long… I remember it being very helpful. I think I got sick of this raspberry lemon but the orange or the plain lemon looks really good.

Of course! I get sick of drinking the same flavor as well, so I like to switch them up, however Cherry is my favorite by far! Sometimes I’ll add a little lemon juice. But the drink overall helps curb my alcohol cravings on those nights I’m stressing out.