DUI here we go

Well … here we go. Got a DUI … blew a fail. Even though I ‘feel’ sober. Fuck fuck fuck and fuck … fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

5 Likes

My girlfriend when we were 18 was at a party drinking and got offered a drive home with a local guy who was also drinking.
Well they drove off a bridge into the river below and she was sliced in half at the waist never to live out the rest of her life and become what she was meant to become.
I have never drank and drove in my entire life because of that incident.

Count your lucky stars all you got was a DUI and learn the lesson. Many others haven’t been as fortunate due to others failings.

25 Likes

That really sucks. I’ve been there. Twice. And totaled my car in a tree on a separate occasion. Thank god I was alone and it was just a tree.

I always ‘felt’ sober, or was ‘fine to drive’, when I was drinking. At least that’s what I told everyone. If I drove my car there, I was driving it home. More than half my drinking was done in my car. Didn’t give a single fuck. I’m lucky I never got a 3rd or I’d be car-less, in immeasurable debt, or actually sent to jail.

Look at it this way. You’re here, wanting to quit. Struggling a bit, and that’s okay. They are going to give you help. Take it! I didn’t wanna quit when I got mine. I went thru the motions so they believed I learned my lesson so I could get my license back and get my next drink. I wish I would’ve payed attention back then. You’ll get thru this.

15 Likes

Welcome back! Make today the first day to a better life.

Got my first and only DUI over 4 years ago which included totalling my car. Thankfully, I hit a pole and no one else was involved. It was the wake-up call I needed and I surrendered. The next day, I called my health insurance and asked for help. They referred me to an intensive outpatient program. By the time my court case came up, I had 100 days sober, I was done with IOP and going to AA. The judge was impressed with my sobriety plan and gave me the minimum he could by state law. It was extremely costly but I don’t regret what happened. If it weren’t for that accident, I wouldn’t be where I am today, 4.5 yrs sober and living my best life.

You can use your situation as motivation. You will get thru this but you have to put in the work.

23 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this, as others have said and @Lisa07 post is how you can turn it around, great post btw. I’m thankful that your or others were not hurt. You may have felt fine but keep in my mind over time we build a tolerance so we may not feel the effects the same but what it does to our bodies, minds and functions is real, you still have the same amount of blood in your body and the alcohol content is the same. Please take this as a wake up call and ask for help, I’m praying for you
:v:t3: and :purple_heart:

10 Likes

I feel very embarrassed right now. I’m scared to tell my other half. Scared he’s gunna leave me. This is the first time in my life this has happened. And I feel so stupid

8 Likes

Listen, if we all made the best decisions all the time none of us would be here right? You made a mistake and bad decision. What’s important now is what you do with it. I know it’s going to be hard to tell your partner, I would feel all the things you are feeling about it but maybe if you also express how you are going to fix this and get the help you need, it would help soften it. Look at this as an opportunity, because it is :heart:

6 Likes

And to be clear, I am sorry this happened to you. I am also very glad that you nor others were hurt.
My sympathy, unfortunately doesn’t run deep with drinking and driving, but we all have made our fair share of mistakes and thankfully nothing more than an inconvenience for you.
Hopefully you can turn this into something positive and grow from it.
I do wish you well and am thankful you are not hurt. :heart:

7 Likes

You guys are right 100% I need to be thankful that this is all that happened. A shameful wake up call indeed.

11 Likes

Life will keep giving you a rock bottom if you dont choose one yourself…maybe this is yours? Mine was being investigated by social services because i was too drunk to look after my beautiful daughter…i havent drank since. Yes this is bad but you absolutely WILL get through this, we are all here to support you :heart: hugs :people_hugging:

11 Likes

This could be your turning point, you blew over but you thankfully have not caused an accident etc…
As others have shared you could now fall face first into recovery, try some meetings, speak to others that have faced the same path.
Most of us are not saints because alcohol changes our personality and what we do when under the influence, the worst thing you can do is not let this give you a kick in the arse to put some work into recovery, it doesn’t get given to us :pray:
I’m glad you’re safe and stay with us.

8 Likes

Remember this shame, guilt, and sadness. Feel it and hopefully you pick this to be your rock bottom! I got a dui right out of college and still remember the shame and guilt. Unfortunately my pleas to god to help me get thru it and my promise to stay sober didnt stick. My alcoholism progressed for another 10 years. Please for your happiness use this failing as a moment to pause, look inward, and find the strength to change what path you are on!

Much love during this tough time. Keep checking in here. Get a good lawyer and Maybe start with aa meetings

13 Likes

I got a DUI 17 years ago. It wasn’t my first time driving drunk, nor was it my last, regrettably.

It’s not the end of the world, it may seem like it now, and life will be different for a while, but it’s in no way the end.

You are at a crossroad, you can let it define you, or you can learn and grow from it.

The days, weeks and months ahead will be hard, but you will get through it, I know it.

17 Likes

I got three dwis. I haven’t had a license in 11 years. Even after all those dwis it took me many years to get sober. I had 15 months of sobriety at one point, bought a Harley and relapsed. Ended up drinking and driving on that too. Hope you can find a healthy path, sobriety is worth it

9 Likes

Me too! This is the first and will be the last. Because if I keep on this path … it won’t stop.

8 Likes

How are you doing @Button83 since this post? I see on checkin youre hitting meetings daily.

5 Likes

Day 13 and doing good :smiling_face:

13 Likes

Proud of you! Keep going

3 Likes

I’ve been there.7 years ago Ingot my first and only DUI. I went through the treatment, pretended I understood the damage it had done to my life, got off of probation and went right back to drinking. I didn’t finally stop drinking until 6 months ago. Believe me when I tell you, nothing changes if nothing changes. It may seem dark rn but trust me when I say that if you fully accept that you have a problem, and be receptive to the treatment they’re going to put you through, you will come out of this a much happier, much more clear headed person. You deserve to know a world freer from substances and you deserve to see how great your life can become.

10 Likes

Everyday I attend meetings. Some days I feel like I got this, and some days it’s tried to sneak it’s thoughts into my mind that I’m different that it’s not so bad. But that’s when I jump on a meeting.

6 Likes