Effective exercise for over 50s women

Dear sober friends, I’m looking for recommendations for starting an exercise or workout habit for a 50 year old woman (me) who’s done no exercise to speak of for the last ten years.

For some context, I used to live across from a gym many years ago, and went to fitness classes regularly. That was the best shape I’ve ever been in. Marriage, pregnancy, kid, alcohol, and it all went out the window. I’m now creaky as an old door, little strength, get winded easily.

This is no good for my age nor my bones down the road, so i need to start up with some exercise that will allow me to get in better shape slowly and gradually, but not so geologically that I’ll get discouraged and quit. And it has to build up slow, because I think I could get injured if I start up anything too strenuous. So I want slow build-up but somewhat tangible results, if that makes sense.

Have any or you sober ladies of a certain age any exercise recommendations that have worked for you and really made a difference? I keep thinking yoga, for instance, but I while it’s definitely great for flexibility and mind, I don’t know if it has such a clear impact on health and overall physical improvement (muscle strength, bones…)

Thanks for any help. Have a blessed day and week, y’all.

7 Likes

Walking!! You can get a tracker to help motivate you.

3 Likes

Hey Merry,
I’m not 50 yet but close enough and I’ve been going through the fun of peri-menopause for some time now. Meaning I’m constantly tired and more often then not in some kind of aches or pains. My energy levels fluctuate constantly and sleep is not a given.
What has been a life saver in this time for me is yoga and low impact cardio (walking, cycling, rowing, swimming, or whatever you’re into). Yoga can be very relaxing and chill - like Yin or other recovery styles - or quite demanding and strength oriented - like vinyassa flow.
Personally I love these teachers: Breath and Flow and can not recomend their beginner program Embark enough. Try it out and see if this might be your thing.

3 Likes

I agree that walking is a great first step if you haven’t been active at all. Work your way up to areas with hills to increase the cardio aspect. Swimming is also great for your lungs and if you have any pain issues bc it’s low impact.

Yoga is amazing. Any time I’ve gotten out of shape, that was what I did first before beginning more strenuous activitied. Don’t push yourself too hard, or worry that you can’t do poses without modification. Any movement is good when you’re just starting out. With consistent practice of all the different forms of yoga, it can benefit every aspect of your health :100:

All the best Merry :muscle::heart:

3 Likes

Have to agree that walking is a great start. Two years ago, in my mid-fifties and a real lazy so and so, I decided to move more and so figured let’s try for 10,000 steps a day to begin with. Took me about a month to make my early morning walks a habit and after six months this turned into walk/runs and then running three or four miles most mornings. The walks really laid a foundation of purpose, routine and of course an improvement in my health. Never felt fitter at the age of 57. Hope this helps you in some way and good luck. Age is just a number :smile:

7 Likes

For starters walk five minutes and add five minutes every few days or every week, however, you feel. Don’t go out and overdo it start slowly and add slowly.

Make sure that you are able to comfortably talk while you are walking.

It is recommended for fitness that you get 150 minutes a week.

That averages out to 30 minutes five days a week.
10 minute increments are fine.

Again start with five minutes or 10 minutes and then add an additional five minutes every few days.

If you live in a house with stairs, go up and down the stairs more than you usually do.

Dont ever feel Like you have to work yourself through any pain.
If you have pain, then stop what you’re doing and wait until you don’t have pain anymore before you start again

At some point, add a 1 pound weight to hold in one hand while you are walking. Only on one side, this will begin to firm and strengthen your core.

When you are comfortable carrying the 1 pound weight in one hand, let the hand hang loose, then you can add another pound.

You could have a grocery bag and put two bottles of water in it and have the 2 pounds then go to 3 pounds 4 pounds 5 pounds, etc.
Walk 50 feet or so with it in one hand and then switch it to the other hand.

By having the weight in one hand while you are walking, you are strengthening your core part of your body.

If you had it in both hands, it would balance out and not do anything.

Slowly work yourself up to heavier weight. For instance, you could go up to 5-10-15 -20 lbs.

you can Google “farmers walk” on the Internet.

You can also Google “sit to stand”. That is sitting in a chair and standing up with your arms across your chest, making sure that you keep your knees behind your toes. Editing to add, when you first begin, have your arms/ hands with in reach of the chair arm or seat or table to grab onto should you lose your balance.

One level of gauging fitness is how many sit to stands somebody can do in 30 seconds. Don’t try to do that.

Google it and try to do just one in a correct and proper way. Then add more slowly again making sure that your knees are back behind your toes.

It is always advised before somebody starts an exercise program that they check in with their doctor. If you have any problems with your lungs or with your heart, or if you are substantially overweight, this is something that you should do and let them give you guidance.

5 Likes

As my profilename is Soberwalker I have to replay this one :face_with_peeking_eye::wink:
I started to walk more in the beginning of my recovery for a few reasons. The most important was: distraction. It helped me with the cravings as wel with my mental state at that time. It also kept me grounded and helped to improve my physical health. I’m sober for more then 5 years now and walking in nature is still a big part of my recovery.
I have bought a Garmin sportwatch (Garmin venu 2) to track my walks and see my daily effort in steps and stuff like that as well.
I also made a small investment in a good pair of walking shoes. I have the Strava app on my phone to keep track at my walks, that’s fun too!
I mostly walk alone and when I’m not motivated I walk with a podcast with something interesting to listen to. Sometimes a recovery podcast when I need one.
I’m 56 years old, sober and as far as I know very much healthy :hugs:
Hope you will your way with walking ore another kind of sports too.

8 Likes

Thank you all, really, for taking the time and for these thoughtful recommendations. I’m going to start slow with walking more and trying to build a yoga habit in small steps. I think it’s definitely a slow and steady project. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again. :pray:t2:

6 Likes

wins the race :wink:

1 Like

I’m also 50 and I’ve been going to yoga regularly for the past six or seven months and I’ve really noticed a big improvement in my strength. There’s such a range of practices from yin yoga to power yoga that there’s plenty of choice available. I’m also doing a lot of walking and with the headphones on that’s very enjoyable.

2 Likes

@SoberWalker Claudia, may I ask what type or brand of walking shoes you got? I wear regular sneakers, and I don’t think it’s the best option. I gather you’re in Europe, so I may be able to look into the same brand or a similar one.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m from the Netherlands. I have a small feet so I walk on Lowa Renegate GTX shoes especially for small feet. I always buy them one size bigger then my size is. When you walk your feet will get a bit bigger because of the heath and your toe needs space to wiggle a bit.
If I where you I would go to a special shop for it to try them on your feet en let them advice you properly. The width of your shoe is very important to look into. You have to try them on to explore the good fit for you. Try different brands as well! Good brands are Lowa, Hanwag and Meindl for example. But even Decathlon has good ones!

1 Like

Reviving this topic for a catch-up and some accountability. I read all of the suggestions and thought how to integrate all the different information. I got a tracker and I’m prioritizing walking. On normal workdays when I’m short of time, I’m aiming for at least 6000 steps while doing my everyday things. Not getting there every day, but a majority of them, yes. And when I have time to myself I’m going out with a 1kg weight in one hand, as @Alisa recommended. It’s not too much weight for either side, I find, and I do think it’s helping my posture some. 10000 steps is doable on those days.

I still have not started up a regular yoga practice, though it’s something I think I should do (thanks for suggesting Breath & Flow, Aga @acromouse). I’m not sure what’s holding me back here, but I can’t seem to move forward with it. Maybe if I found a yoga studio and actually signed up… I’m definitely stalling on this.

Baby steps…

Have a lovely weekend, friends.

4 Likes

Like with most things in life: When you’re ready you’ll know it :blush::people_hugging:

3 Likes