Excuses why I am not drinking

You have probably answered this question a million times here…but we are having guests this weekend and I dont want to explain why I stopped drinking …can you guys tell me what excuses you use?

2 Likes

If I don’t want to tell the real reason, I tell them I’m on medication and I may not drink with that.

3 Likes

I can truthfully just say, “I don’t like how it affects my energy level”

3 Likes

It hurts my stomach

2 Likes

I’m a truth teller on this one. I was a liar when I was a drunk. I have worked so hard to change my whole existence that I’m not gonna throw it away by lying about why I’m not drinking.

7 Likes

I would be truthful. But if you need an excuse say that you are antibiotics

1 Like

For the moment I use “Dry January” after that I plan to say, “I feel so much better, I’m sticking with it!” I think we’ll be the envy of many :wink:

6 Likes

That’s my plan buffy :slight_smile:

1 Like

The truth will set you free! Just kidding, I know that’s cheesy. But if you don’t want to be up front about just wanting to cut the alcohol out, you can say you’re losing weight for X event or you’re just not feeling well/have a stomach ache

2 Likes

Maybe one of your guest may be secretly concerned about their own drinking.

I like the truth, but simple. No need for details.
“I felt like I was getting carried away, actually started going to meetings to get on track with it.”

You will be surprised how impressed people are, and happy when someone reaches out.

1 Like

I say Im taking a break, or cutting back or off the sauce. Most people don’t care and I agree that some will be inspired to cut down or at least pleasantly curious about your motivations. I could probably just say, I dont drink. People seem to respect that.

3 Likes

So now that I’m all brave with sober days I’m gonna start saying " Believe me you’ll like me better if I stay sober."

1 Like

Hmmm, well fortunately my social circle knows my history of blacking out after being the “life of the party” and they know I’m not drinking anymore so it’s not even a question.

But in other circles, “I’m pregnant.” Since I’m a dude, that usually elicits nervous laughter, failure to make eye contact from that point forward and acceptance of my lack of interest in a drink.

7 Likes

Lol… you should change it to ‘trying to get pregnant’

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: that could be misconstrued as a pick-up line! Gotta be careful with that one!

4 Likes

haha! Thats great Chris

2 Likes

I simply say “I don’t drink” which usually is enough for most people but if they ask why I tell them “I don’t like how it makes me feel”

2 Likes

I have decided when i have January out the way I am gonna tell the rest of my family. So far I’ve told my eldest son. My daughter, one of my brothers and a close friend.

2 Likes

Your comment is what made me decide to join here. Much respect.

4 Likes

Oh no you are going to give him a big head now😜. I’m so glad you did join. We need you to keep us going. Welcome to the board

3 Likes