Exercise and pain

I use to run alot, doing 7-8 miles 4 days a week. I stopped because I was always hung over or drunk. I have gained 40lbs. Since I quit drinking I have energy to get up and exercise now. I decided go for a walk/run this AM. I stretched and warmed up as usual. About 5 mins into my exercise I started having severe pains in my legs. So bad I had to give up and go home after a mile. I have never hurt like this. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with stopping drinking?? Even when I first started running years ago I never hurt like this. Its so disappointing.

2 Likes

Could of maybe been the shoes? Maybe to tight on the toes? I mean your body reacts different to exercise different every time. Even tho years ago it went good and never hurt. Just keep at it and don’t be to hard on yourself it will come back

I would try to do even more stretching than you used to do before when you were a regular runner. I second what @anon60334405 said, I know my wife has had issues with some workout shoes she purchased recently and them not being broken in enough or her old ones being worn out.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is it specifically that hurts? Shin splints type stuff?

I’m with you on the used to workout a ton before I started drinking a ton. I’m back on the workout wagon and damn it feels good!

I did get a new pair of shoes but have worn them when I started walking again. Haven’t had any problems till today. It was my calf and shin muscles mostly.

1 Like

First off good for you going back at it…
And like @Nordique ask, what hurt? Legs felt real heavy? or a more specific part of your body hurt?

I’ve always been an active-stopper. My problem is consistency in training. Active sport or active bender. And the longest I stopped the harder it was to restart and the more propice I was to injury. For Running, I would feel it right away. Last bender I gained 15 pounds. I was before that training for half-ironman and when I restarted, my first run I crashed before completing my first 5k. And I was like way under my usual pace. I felt like “carrying” that 15 extra pounds was very hard, plus my muscles we’re just asleep. At first you do a lot of micro-tears to your muscles, if you havent used them a lot. Stretching, protein intake, and a day off, and you should see an amelioration soon. Better starting slow than not starting. I restarted more seriously last month or so and I’m almost getting my numbers on running, even If I havent lost the extra weigh yet.
Let’s go ! :muscle:

1 Like

Im no doctor but I would consult one but like everyone else is saying try stretching longer.

I feel you should consider non pounding cardio like- spin cycle or swimming and build back up to the other endurance activities like running. Putting even 15lbs on more than our desired/ frame weight creates 4-5 times the force on our knees and hips. Same thing I’d advise at work to anyone. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I second the advice on looking for lower impact cardio activities. Also, try to find some additional stretches that focus just on the lower legs. That should help too.

As others have said, it could simply be due to the weight gain or improperly fitting shoes.
As for stretching, make sure you’re doing dynamic stretching prior to running and save the static stretching for after your run.
Finally…And I hope this isn’t the case for you…but running is extremely hard on the body, especially your joints, and it may not be an activity you can continue forever. I used to be a serious runner - I could comfortably complete 10 miles, and even ran a marathon in February of 2008. I was training for my second marathon later that year, and had gotten to the 20 mile part of my practice. Had the “perfect” run - felt strong, didn’t get tired, was feeling super confident. The next morning I woke up, stepped out of bed…and promptly collapsed on the floor. My left leg could not support my weight AT ALL. It was several months before I could comfortably walk again. Turns out I had developed chronic bursitis in my hips. Tried running again after about a year, but even a few miles would leave me in pain for weeks. Eventually I had to give it up entirely.
I’m not trying to scare you, but please listen to your body. You don’t need to add to your frustrations by causing yourself physical pain. If this continues to be a problem, experiment with non-impact sports - cycling, swimming, yoga etc. I got into yoga after my injury, and I LOVE it. It’s something I can do for the rest of my life, and there’s such a variety of styles, difficulty levels, and levels of spiritual connection that there is always a yoga class available for whatever I’m feeling that day. Yoga is also a great complement to running if running does work for you (I know plenty of runners who have not had my problems, so it is possible) and there are classes specifically designed to help runners strengthen their body while keeping it pliable at the same time.
Good luck!

3 Likes

I used to be in peak physical shape a few years ago, but I also stopped exercising bc of drinking and gained 25/30 lbs. When I started up again I experienced similar issues thinking I could handle what I used to be able to but I just couldn’t. So I started with yoga and built up my flexibility first before jumping into harder, more cardio/strength training. I know it can be frustrating but you’ll get it back if you work a bit more slowly than you’re used to. Stretch those shins! Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

How long ago was it that you used to run that much, and how old are you now? What does the pain feel like? You don’t have to give the answer to those questions to me, but the answer does matter. Even if you were inactive for, say, six months, that would be enough to put you back with your running. The extra weight also makes a difference.

My suggestion would be to start slow. Don’t jump right back into running or expect to do what you used to right away. If you’re really deconditioned, starting out doing brisk walks, then working your way up to light jigs then to running might help. It might take a few weeks, but it could help.

Spend extra time warming up and don’t stretch before your workout. Some studies show that doing so can actually be detrimental to the work out. But do spend time stretching after. And, in fact, putting aside at least ten minutes after your workout to do a thorough job to stretch the leg muscles, glutes, lower back, ankles, feet, and then some upper body could be very useful.
The body works as a whole and sometimes we can get pain in some places due to issues in another part of the body.

As other people said, you might need better shoes. Possibly. Couldn’t hurt to change shoes. Changing to a lower impact activity could also help. Also if you have a racket ball or a tennis ball, try spending some time slowly your foot over the ball, stopping briefly in any area that proves to be tender. Try to get all the muscles in your feet. This can help release muscles further up the body. You can easily do this every day while on the computer or watching TV.

Without knowing some details and not being able to see how you move its hard to give more pinpointed advice, so what I wrote might not address the problem at all, but hopefully you’ll still find something here useful. Best of luck to you.

*Edit for typo

1 Like

It sounds to me like shin splints, never fun. I agree with the others, if you gained weight and haven’t been working out regularly for awhile, it is super important to start slow. Also, your age definitely matters as well. I recommend going with a walk / run to build up to 5k, then on to 10k if you want more distance. But building up to it is best for your body. I use the First Strides method of building up the miles (very gentle working up the miles). You can find their training handouts here…

http://firststridesvermont.com/

Another option is following Jeff Galloway’s method of C25K…

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k-10k-training/

No shame in starting slow and easing yourself back into it. Especially if you have been away from running for a bit.

Slow and steady helps us gain strength and mastery and gets our muscles back in shape…and keeps the overtraining pains at bay.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

3 Likes