Favorite quote/saying for struggling addicts

“The only way out, is through”.

“Those who are weak in the knees, end up on their knees”.

“Today is not our past. Today will pave our path for tomorrow. Choose wisely.”

3 Likes

“i cant think my way into better living, but i can live my way into better thinking” reminds me that for me growth and development requires action as opposed to how i used to just think about changing.

4 Likes

@Joules , great quotes. I am always looking for easy quotes or mantras to help me with staying sober- I have been on and off the wine diet most of my life. It is time to get off it for good. One of my favorites is “ Change the way you see things and see the way they change.”

3 Likes

Welcome to the community pull up a chair and stay for a while, there are lots of good threads that you can search out to help on your sober quest. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Mackie I, also, like quick little power-quotes. I just tend to forget the good ones! Today’s app quote was nice, about not focusing our energy on our past, and using it to build the new. I’m WAY too much in my head. FINALLY, found a mental health PA that listened intently to my symptoms. I’m 48- and diagnosed this year with Gen Anx Disorder. :roll_eyes: Sounded like some “phantom” label. First recollection of an attack was at 15. I think I have been a drinker (since being a teen…) b/c it helped curb my anxiety. I moved 3-yrs ago and new Doc put me on anti-depressants…two different kinds over 2-yrs. It was awful. Made me a nervous disaster. (I have tried twice relying on the gym/clean eating, etc. and take ZERO meds, but I’m afraid I will always need something to help. Endocrine system and neurotransmitters can make life tough for the average bear).
With less chronic anxiety, I have been more successful this time with sobriety than in the past. My longest is 4-mo or so, and I’m only on day 15, but it’s different this time. Maybe I’ll fail, maybe I won’t, but it feels like everything lined up to be the time to get at it again. Painted an accent wall and didn’t have to reach for a Cabernet every 10-minutes. Painting and not drinking was the ultimate challenge. But I did it and kept going. My energy is DRAMATICALLY improved. A foreign feeling for me!
We’re all in this shit together and I am grateful for this app. It’s a heck of a journey.

1 Like

Your ego is not your amigo.

2 Likes