Feeling alone in recovery

keep coming back here. we are all in the same boat. it’s normal to feel alone and misunderstood by most. we will be glad to give you a motivation boost.keep fighting the good fight.

3 Likes

Welcome to the spot. :crocodile::sunglasses:

1 Like

Aw I feel that too. I always wonder why some ppl are lucky enough to find love early on and others have to go through hurt and heartache. I’m 34 and don’t know what to do, I don’t feel good about online dating but don’t seem to meet anyone out in my “real” life and it makes me feel insecure and not good enough that I haven’t found someone. I just keep telling myself that the Universe has a plan for me and I will trust it, even though it is hard. Loneliness just feels so empty.

4 Likes

I 100% agree with this, exactly how I feel. I’ve tried online dating but it makes me feel totally miserable. I can’t do it as its so bad for my mental health. I have rejection issues anyway, so dating sites are bad news for me. I find it difficult enough to connect with people so there’s no hope of me meeting anyone on a dating site which is the most superficial thing I have ever encountered. And now post Covid how on earth am I ever going to meet anyone?! I guess all we can do is have faith and focus on being the best version of ourselves we can be. If it isn’t meant to happen so be it, as painful as that can be.

5 Likes

It’s funny you mentioned a change of scenery because I was definitely thinking about doing thst
…but your right , 30 still young and age is a state of mind …I’m just going to keep focusing on my recovery and I meet someone along the way then great :grin:

3 Likes

I agree :100: percent , I had to step away from dating sites for the same reasons …you ain’t alone there and with this covid SMh :unamused: …but …I guess it’s the perfect time to focus on ourselves

3 Likes

Hey there @ItsJess great work on your sobriety. You have done extreamly well. You don’t have to be alone in rejoicing in your achievement s. We in these pages think that this girl from that cold hard province of Saskatchewan has done very well for herself. You are the best. Just set the lead and you will be an inspiration to many.

2 Likes

Wow thank you! That’s really appreciated :heart:

Not to minimise or in any way take away from the message of this thread, that loneliness sucks and is horrible!, but just because you find love “early on” does not mean your are spared heartache, hurt - or even loneliness. Keeping love alive and a relationship working especially over many years, through addiction into sobriety, the changes that brings into a relationship, and through countless other things life just throws at us is hard work and achieved not without pain. I’ve been in a relationship with my man for many years but have no doubt we have put ourselves through more pain to stay together than some of our friends who remained single longer have had to go through. It’s not a pissing contest, but just sometimes good to remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side. That things and circumstances rarely compare or are tradeable. Instead of fantasising about how it could be so much better, I try and focus on what my specific circumstances are. I’m prone to comparing to a sick degree and it breeds misconceptions and unhappiness imho.

I sincerely have sympathy for anyone experiencing loneliness, for not having meaningful connections to a satisfying degree in their life. It’s a bad place, feels dead and despairing, and I hope all of us can find respite from it when we need it! Love

3 Likes

Wow, I am lost for words. In response I just pushed the heart button. What you have said is so true in ‘life’ as we live it. I too have this sense of loneliness. In my sobriety I am prone to revisit the days of my life. Many times I have this question isn’t the grass greener on the other side of the river. But then the river is the reality. How do I get over it?
I have no answers, Right now my battle is with the bottle. 42 days of sobriety glory and free. All to the best and thanks for this heart touching post

2 Likes