Feeling nervous about interview: Potential TW

So back home in Manitoba, I knew quite a few women in the sex trade, either in the problem with me or thru my support network and groups for women trying to exit the trade. I have been out of the trade for alittle over 7 years now (basically when I moved to Alberta).
In my early 20s I attended a school for adults in the sex trade to help women get an education (they also had a school for youth who were sexually exploited). Wonderful school and program… I actually taught the youth how to make dreamcatchers :slight_smile: Anyway, I was approached today from a woman (who is also a friend of mine as well as an experiential woman of the trade). She has a bachelor’s of social work now and is currently working with this organization (who I attended school at years ago). They are trying to update their training for sexually exploited youth. What youth need todat to be successful and what service providers can do better etc. Those types of questions. My friend is a researcher and is interviewing several experiential women who were sexually exploited as a youth, to help rovose feedback fir thos training program that will be used for servide providers. There is a decent honorarium involved also but honestly, I think this is such an opportunity for me. I have alot to say about when I was a youth and what I could’ve used and what I needed back then. I never thought that I actually had been sexually exploited. I knew I got into prostitution due to my experiences as a youth and sexual abuse that happened from the age of 15 on. But everything stems even farther than that with a dysfunctional home and mental health and addictions. Lack of life skills and skills for employment etc.
Emotions are coming up for me right now. I feel like I can do this. I want to help youth and adults, but especially youth bcuz they are truly the most vulnerable. If sexual exploitation can be addressed as early as possible and a youth can be helped early on, maybe other traumatic events and life choices can be prevented down the road, like prostitution, addiction, suicide, mental health concerns, poor living situations, and involvement in the criminal justice system etc.
I will post the questions if anyone is interested in providing feedback or thoughts. I’m soo nervous. I’m hoping im ready to go back in time a re-live my youth and my adulthood. To give my younger self a voice for what I REALLY needed back then, instead of what I did receive (criminal charges as a youth, judgemental approaches, being looked down on and shamed).
Thanks for reading! This is super important to me and I really feel like I get a sense of a voice back from my childhood. Any tips or advice welcome!

6 Likes

I think that’s a great thing to help other girls. You know what helps and how to navigate the areas that not too many would know.
I think you’d be awesome.
I feel it’s something I’d like to do, help in some capacity with kids who have had a hard time.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great opportunity to help in the community. But it sounds like it could have the potential to bring up a lot of yucky stuff for you.
Please be mindful of your own mental health throughout your experience. In order to help others, we have to be healthy ourselves. I’ve made the mistake too often where I put others’ needs before my own without realizing it until I completely drained my mental bandwidth. Wouldn’t hurt to give it a try though and you can always step back if it gets too much. This could also be the door that opens to get you out of your current job. You’ll never know unless you give it a shot. We’ll be here to support you if you decide to take this new journey.

4 Likes

It’s alot… some stuff is coming up already. I’ve already shed some tears and have caught my leg just bouncing out of nervousness or anxiety I guess. I want to do it so I am giving myself a little bit of time to review the questions and to write down some thoughts. The interview is only like 1 hour long but that can seem like forever lol

3 Likes

This is awesome! I’m so happy you have this happening now. It’s a wonderful chance to do something meaningful - something fulfilling.

This makes me think back to our conversation in the checkin thread a few days ago (this conversation).

I have read your shares about your work in helping people (who have been) involved in the sex trade. You have shared about it for over two years now. Of all the things I read from you, these times are the times you sound energized, like what you’re doing is meaningful and significant, and you feel like you can have an impact.

It is meaningful and fulfilling for you.

Regarding the feeling you have of being drained, just spent (from our conversation linked above): maybe that reflects how you don’t feel fulfilled / impactful at your work now? That kind of feeling can really suck the life out of you. It makes it feel like the work is sort of “blah”.

Maybe… there’s a way you can make your passion for helping people in the sex trade, into a calling? Some way you can make that a job, or a social project, or some type of thing where it would be a regular part of your life?

It means so much to you. To your heart. Is there a leap of faith you can take here, to follow your heart and see what happens?

2 Likes

I’m happy to see you’re giving yourself some time to read and digest the questions. It’s kind of like a dry run before the actual interview. By digesting those questions, you’ll find out how well you can handle your emotions with all the stuff they bring up. If it gets to be too much or your sobriety is in danger, you can always back out and try again in the future. I know how much you want to give back but you have to remember, early recovery is very challenging and you have to put yourself first. Do what’s best for Dana.

2 Likes

Your input in the interview will be great. You are able to write your thoughts in a good way and express yourself. Preparing yourself will help you to verbally answer the questions.

You’ve got all of us in your pocket for support.

What you say will end up making a difference in other’s lives.
I was abused. I didn’t tell anyone. When I finally did, I was told not to talk about it and then later, that I should be over it.

I needed someone to keep asking if things were ok ( they weren’t). I needed someone to believe me and get me help for my mental health ( no one did). Like so many others I was just left on my own with it ( and it’s damage).

Times have changed. Children are taught to turn these monsters in, to tell someone.
Whether they do or not I don’t know.

You’ve been there. Let the fact that you’re helping other victims guide you and keep you strong and keep your own memories and feelings out of further harm’s way as much as you can.

Editing to add: Of course and most certainly if you feel like you are being damaged and compromised then by all means stop the interview, or do not go through it to start with. You are the one that can gauge that. As was said you can always go back to it again sometime or never do it. My comments were based on the fact that you seem to feel good about it and it is something that you want to do.

3 Likes

This is great for you. Thanks for sharing. I hope this can help people understand how to help others more.
I think that we often just dont know how to help.

2 Likes

If you think you can handle the interview you will undoubtedly be an asset to that organization. If it gets too emotional take a step away if you need. Anyone who has worked with people who have been in your situation should be compassionate enough to understand your need for boundaries. If you need to email the answers to those questions you can always keep that as a response if it feels like too much. You are an absolute badass in recovery please keep your head and your heart safe as you go. :heart:

3 Likes