Feeling SO SO sorry for myself!

I am feeling so so sorry for myself. Proper Pitty party for one. It’s sad and pathetic. I really don’t like myself right now. Side effects of giving up are horrendous for me. Anyhow I’m going to read on and try to stop being so self centered.

2 Likes

Hi Kasey, sorry your not feeling yourself today. Anything you want to talk about?

Withdrawals are doing my head in is it just me? - why do people say nights Sweat, i’ m worse in the day, but it’s pretty much 24 hours a day for at least 2 weeks. I want to just eat sugar. I know I’ve got to give it up, if it was just giving up I know I could do it, it’s the damn side effects of trying . Also if I do drink I burn up face goes red and according to others ( I don’t remember) i’ ve stopped breathing a few times. Does anyone know what that’s about?

Why do you feel so sorry for yourself? Do you feel like you are losing a friend? Do you feel like you are lessened, because you’re trying to quit your DOC?

My best advice is to give it some time, and trust that your feelings will change in a positive way, the longer you are sober. As you begin to feel better, sleep better, focus better, you will accept that you are better. You will be motivated to do things that make you better, like eat better, work out, discover new hobbies, interests, and passions. A better you will meet better people, and you will synergize your betterness!

But for now, decide to be better, and then work to be better. Keep getting better at getting better each and every day!

6 Likes

Thank you. The support on here is amazing. I think I’m probably just a bit too selfish.

2 Likes

I actually think a pity party can be okay as long as you can stop it later. A good cry fest can end up feeling so good because you can get it all out of you. But you need to make sure it doesn’t carry you to very dark places you can’t escape from.

I also don’t think it’s so terrible to be self centred in recovery. Sometimes you need to make it all about yourself. Put your needs ahead of everything else so you can keep those addictive voices out of your head.

Basically I’m saying that as long as you go to bed sober you’ve done alright today. And tomorrow is a new day.

:heart:

2 Likes

Self pity is one of my worst character defects. The opposite of self pity is gratitude and acceptance. I’m trying to cultivate these!

1 Like

If you have been stopping breathing you should probably seek medical attention as soon as possible to make sure your body can handle the withdrawals outpatient, better safe than sorry! The process can be life-threatening!

1 Like

I’m not sure why they call it night sweats. I swear all day too. Withdrawals messed with my head too. The first few weeks were the worse. But I promise it gets better. Have you read the book this naked mind? It really helped me understand my alcohol addiction. I think a good cry and pity party are ok for a little bit. You are mourning the loss of a “friend” you relied on.
I craved sugar. A lOT of sugar in the beginning. But I figured it was better to eat sugar than to drink. I ended up giving up sugar too but not until I was a little stronger in my sobriety. About 8 months in I decided to change my diet.
Vitamin D and B complex as well as a multivitamin helped in the beginning.
Wishing you the best. It will get easier.

1 Like

Oh I’m relieved it’s not just me, I could never understand why it is called nights sweats it’s 24 /7. For me it really is poison. I’ve often wondered if it’s possible to be allergic to alcohol as my face goes bright red and I burn up when I drink. I know I’ve just got to stick it out and things will get better. Thanks for the wonderful advice it’s much appreciated. Someone else on here has also mentioned that book, so I think I will order it in at my library. Thanks.

1 Like

Oh you are not alone. Pretty much everything you are experiencing someone on here has also experienced. The book was good. I read a lot about the effects of alcohol in the beginning. Also watched lots of documentaries and listened to tons of podcast.

Hold on, it’ll get better ODAAT