Feeling super paranoid

Anyone ever feel paranoid after they stopped drinking alcohol? It’s only been 32 hours for me, and I know this can be a symptom. How can I calm myself down? I’m at my sister’s house right now and an hour away from home. I called my boyfriend and he talked to me for a while, which helped a lot, but I can’t sleep now and feel like I’m going crazy.

Go outside and find something you can feel. Then find something you can smell. Then find something you can hear. Then find something you can see. Works for me. Just go in your sisters backyard

4 Likes

Try breathing in through your nose for 5 seconds and out through your mouth for 5 seconds. Try to do it 10 times. This will help to calm down your nervous system.

3 Likes

Thank for the advice, I’ll try this. I’ll take a walk up the street to my car :slight_smile: much appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

You’re welcome. We’re here to help each other😀. You don’t have to go through it alone.Those meditations and yoga really helped me in the first few weeks when my anxiety and paranoia where overwhelming. I also went through a detox center which was a big help.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m saving this to my phone! As someone who gets anxiety aside from alcohol I think this will definitely be something that will benefit me in the long run :slight_smile: thank you for taking the time to do this. I really feel a lot better.

1 Like

I do inhale for 4, holds for 4, exhale for 6. I don’t know if it really matters, I imagine the main point is to be mindful and come back to the present by focusing on the breath. I can’t remember why breath retention is a good thing to work on :see_no_evil:

@pinkandblue There are links to some more meditations here which might be worth a try:

I use a meditation app called Calm which I love. Others that seems to be popular are Headspace and Insight Timer. And of course there is YouTube!

And also agree that going outside is good. I do a lot more walking now which helps clear my mind.

1 Like

I’ve always been interested in meditating but was never able to actually get myself to sit still and just listen to it. I definitely need to make myself take some time and do this :slight_smile:

I think that just posting here in itself is helping me come back to reality, lol. Thank you for the link as well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found the 7 days of Calm series on the Calm app really helpful as an introduction. It tells you what to do and gets you used to it, agreed it is weird at first! I bought the subscription after that so not sure how much free content there is but I’d say go for it, it doesn’t cost anything to give it a go and it’s only 10 or 15 minutes a day. If it doesn’t work for you well you haven’t lost much!

2 Likes

Anytime. If you go to YouTube you can type in gudied meditation for whatever your feeling. This one on frequency 528 is very helpful as well. A friend from this community shared this with me and I love it.

1 Like

You’ll find a lot of love and positive vibes here. I know I did and I’m so grateful for this community.

2 Likes

I’m always willing to invest in anything that’s going to really help me. It’s so worth it. I’m going to check that out! I have a list now, so plenty of things to try :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be honest I wasn’t really expecting this. I wasn’t sure how much people posted or whether I would actually get any replies. I’m so thankful I found this, for the first time I truly feel ready to take control of my life and am confident that I can. Thank you so much for your kind words today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can do it :100:! It won’t be easy but if you get plugged in here and stay plugged in you’ll make it. There’s other fellowships out there that really help too. I’m very active in AA and it has saved my life one more time. The whole point is to work on ourselves and to help others. We have abilities normal people don’t have. All you have to worry about is what’s right in front of you and the rest will work itself out.

2 Likes

I agree. I think I just became complacent in life and suddenly realized I don’t wanna live like this anymore. We’re very lucky to have so many different ways to connect with other people who feel the way we do. I just feel different than I did 4 days ago, it’s weird. Funny how the world works :slight_smile:

Absolutely. There are a lot of like minded individuals here. I did the same. We all do. I have been in and out of sobriety since 2009 and I would get a year and forget where I came from. My head would tell me I can do it on my own and I didn’t need help. Any excuse not to stop or I’ll do it tomorrow. Tomorrow never came. I don’t want to waste time because it’s the most precious thing we have in life apart from family and friends.

:grinning: Hang in there