Feeling the itch

Feeling the itch to relapse (but I won’t) …I’ve been fighting the urge for quite some time…feeling resentment for not knowing to “just have one drink”…feeling alone and isolated. Anyone out there that can related without judgment?

12 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Be careful and pull out all your sober tools . Last time I felt the itch I managed to hold strong for a while but it grew and grew till I did relapse. Can you identify what you need?

1 Like

Whilst I don’t have the same addiction you do. I hear what you are saying and definitely recognise it from my own struggles. So I sympathise with what you are going through.

Something that helps me is distraction, or getting myself out for a walk. Something to break the cycle of thoughts.

We are here to listen. We have all been there as well.

1 Like

I have been feeling a slight itch but I just have to remind myself that alcohol is not my friend, you know? I know that if I have one drink it will turn into more and more. You are so strong in reaching out and there are so many people that are feeling the same way as you :black_heart:

5 Likes

sober for 636 days and I still want a drink. The difference now is its not an obsession and I do have a choice. The day I wake up not wanting a drink is the day I’m in trouble bc I may well stop doing the things that are keeping me sober.

Don’t ever feel bad or feel judged bc it’s not your fault your an alcoholic we’re just built different but you can be Proud You Are Trying To Change.

7 Likes

I was 5 years sober and still had cravings sometimes. After a relaps (I thought I was cured after such a long time of being sober) I’m sober again with the help of this app for almost 4 years now.
Yesterday I almost drank. Almost…but I didn’t.
I think no matter how long we are sober, we still can feel the urge to drink.

You decide what to do with that itch

The good news is the longer you are sober the less cravings you will have. But we will be alcoholics forever. At least that is my oppinion :hugs:

So I tell myself: not today!
I play the tape trough and think about how I will feel tomorrow when I wake up with a hangover and guilt.
That helps me to get myself a glass of water instead.

8 Likes

I love your post bc it makes me feel normal again. The fact I still want to drink proves to me I’m an alcoholic and I must continue to do what other long term sober people do. I often question whether I’m spiritually sound bc me still wanting a drink is a selfish thing and I’m meant to be handing it all over to a higher power and all that.
Yet here I am sober for another day and something must be looking after me bc I’ve proved time and time again all my life that I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. The only place my thinking got me was a seat in AA, I don’t remember that being an option when the careers advisor came to my school all those years ago and said “So what do you want to be when you grow up?”… er … A drunk.

3 Likes