Fighting multiple addictions at once - thoughts?

I’m now nine days in to my alcohol sobriety. I’d like to quit smoking weed and cigarettes but wonder if that’ll be too many demons to slay at once. Do any of you have experience fighting more than one addiction at a time? Was it too much to handle? Did you relapse, and if so, how long did it take? Any advice?

I came off Ativan then two weeks later stopped drinking waited a year to stop smoking havnt relapsed yet . went to meetings they helped wish you well

1 Like

I tried quitting multiple substances long ago. One by one doesnt work. While intoxicated or high on one thing I would consume any other thing, I would try to substitute one addiction for another successfully only to become a poly addict some time after. There was a time I was always quitting one thing and only doing another, after some time I always wanted more.
Think about it: while intoxicated youre a lot more likely to make dumb decisions, including taking other drugs

What helped me was quitting all at once. You need to get comfortable being completely sober

2 Likes

I have no particular experience or authority but personally I would quit the weed with the alcohol…just because I’ve seen so often how they can go hand in hand. Besides both are highly intoxicating.

I currently don’t smoke but if I did I would not quit that one quite yet. My reason is that you might need something to help calm your nerves while you are withdrawing off of the others. But do this with a specific goal of quiting the cigarettes at a specific time in the future.

1 Like

Weed and Alcohol do NOT go hand in hand with everyone.

1 Like

Once an addict or alcoholic, always an addict or alcoholic. It’s not about what we do, it’s about why we do it. Drinking and pot are all the same to me. I’ve seen many an alcoholic attempt the ole marijuana maintenance program and fail miserably. Many people toke a little weed and end up back on the bottle. If you are getting sober you might as well get all the way sober.

3 Likes

Yes you have to quit all of them to be successful. But do the alcohol first. Use the weed for the first 5 or 6 days to help with the alcohol withdrawls. Then go dark on everything. I used weed for more than 20 years. Sober (again) The new medical weed is addicting. But will help during alcohol withdrawls

1 Like