Finally made the decision to go fully sober after 8+ years of struggling with alcohol misuse TW: self harm, trauma

It’s 8am, I haven’t been able to sleep. I feel lonely, so I’m trying to reach out. This may be a bit aimless and meandering. Sorry about that.

Mentions of self harm, mental health issues, underage drinking, mentions of trauma. I’m trying to keep it all vague enough that it won’t be awfully triggering to a passerby, but if you have ANY triggers around those subjects, please don’t read this. If i need to delete/edit segments of this, I will. Just let me know.

I've struggled with alcohol since the day I started drinking, I think. It was fun, it got me out of my head, it was so easy to overindulge and as teenagers, the consequences never felt that severe.
I was warned about the dangers of addiction since I was a child. Not only was I a fostercare kid, spending 5 years in the system, but both my parents had history of substance abuse and it was an openly acknowledged generational curse.

Even as I stole ciders from the store, got banned from gas stations for underage drinking, got called out and punished for coming home drunk, I thought it was harmless. I had rules in space. No drinking two days a row, no drinking on weekdays, and the rest I've already forgotten.

Predictably, that all did fuckall when I turned 18 and I suddenly had the legal right to walk into a store and buy my own drinks.
Granted, there were still some limitations. You had to be over 21 years old to buy anything stronger than 22%, so naturally I'd buy anything that was 22% on the dot. If I was traveling and I could buy hard liquor tax-free, I'd do that.

I got stuck into a repetitive cycle of drinking until I threw up, spending 2-3 days recovering from the hangover and the mental whiplash before diving right back in.
As a disabled student, I relied on welfare to get by. I ate a couple crackers and some noodles most days, relying on school-provided breakfast and lunch when I was still enrolled. I got some well-meaning, kind-hearted people online to send me money for more booze when I ran out by posting sob stories about the mental anguish running out caused me.

I have so many humiliating memories of my government-assigned support person driving me to school while I was so hungover I'd just hide away in the bathroom, throwing up until I felt well enough to take the bus back home. It wasn't long until I had to drop out. Barely made it one semester.

I doubt its any big surprise for anyone that my mental health, which had been in steady decline since I was 15, kept getting worse and worse.
I found myself gravitating towards people who would enable and take advantage of my drinking. I'd start harming myself during drunken breakdowns. I started viewing the whole of it, picking up the bottle and the blade, as some kind of purifying ritual. A punishment and an absolution in one painful, excruciating package.
It was disordered, it was unhealthy, and looking back, I feel shame, disgust and pity at the young adult forcing themselves to believe that it wasn't alcoholism.

Eventually, someone else moved in with me and there were only so many times I was willing to expose them to my absolutely unhinged episodes. My apartment was their home too - I'd not make it unsafe in this way anymore.

Did I get sober immediately? No. The thought scared me. For years I've figured that I'll just be careful. Extra careful. If I indulge, I self isolate to avoid the shame my drunken behavior brings me. I try so fucking hard to keep things under control until I'm by my lonesome.

And for a while there, it looked like it was working. I was drinking only once every couple months, mostly socially. I've been free of physical self harm for years.
Part of me genuinely thought I was over it.

Big fucking whoop, I did none of the work so of course it was only question of time. I made the decision to stop drinking until my 30th birthday after last Saturday.

For the first time in YEARS, I blacked out. I woke up disoriented, ready to throw up my guts, my nose bruised, with messages sent to my best friend that made me want to curl up in shame and, like a proper trauma response, my immediate knee-jerk was to shame-spiral at them trying to do "damage control".

And that scared me. The fact that I still got that potential. That I can lose control like that, fall into those old behavioral patterns I swore I was done with.

It really shook me to my core.

And I think really recognizing how dysfunctional it was and realizing that I've drank 4 bottles of spirits in a week made me realize that it's never been a "coping mechanism". Calling it one was just an excuse to find more ways to hurt, to humiliate, to punish myself.
It was an excuse to trauma-spiral and push that hurt onto people around me.

Drinking has always been a self harm method for me, and I was simply in denial until I was in a headspace where I could properly self reflect and evaluate what purpose these behaviors were serving me.

So. I am going to go completely sober til my 30th birthday. If I am far enough along with my mental health and trauma recovery that I think I can be responsible with it, maybe I won't go full absolutionist for the rest of my life, but I think for me to do that work, this is a necessary step.

7 Likes

Welcome!! It is a good start for sure. I know it is daunting to think of ‘forever’. I find it much easier to focus on today and not drinking today. Forever will work itself out.

And yeah, those blackout crazy times…it is good to leave them in the past. Rooting for you!! :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Welcome!! I love how you phrased the aspect of what alcohol really is - poison, and the at while it seems like a numbing agent, it’s self harm.

This is a great space to find other like-minded people who can relate, and we’re here for you!!

2 Likes

I speak from experience of thinking that I can quit for a while and then be able to drink normally again. . I was drunk for most of my 20’s, I lost time with people I care about because of it, I lost allot of personal growth I could have had. I would binge for months, then quit for a while. I would say to my self that I just went a week without a drink so I must not really have a problem. So I would would have a drink. That drink would turn into 2, then 3, then 4, before i knew it I would be drinking a bottle a night. this cycle went on for years. When I was 29 I made the same deal you have made with your self. I would not drink until my 30th birthday. I did not have a drink for 6 months and on My 30th birthday I again decided that since I had made it that long that I didn’t have a problem. I started with 1 drink and that is the last memory I have for the next 3 months. I woke up in the hospital after basically being brought back from my death bed.

I know it is scary to admit and the shame and quit we put on our selves(even though we really shouldn’t) but from what I have read from your story you are a full fledged alcoholic. I know forever seems like a long time at first but we are part of a huge number of people who just can’t do booze. A man who helped me alot when i first signed up on here gave me an analogy that fit perfect.

Imagine the stereo on your car is broken, you cam listen to it but you can never turn it down. The more you listen to it the more deaf you become and have to turn it up more and more. You can turn it off but never down. The only option are to go without it completely or lose your hearing completely.

Using alcohol will never truly help you through mental health and will in long run only make it much worse. If you brain tells you can not go the rest of your life without it, then chances are you are one of us that need to. It may seem impossible to do the rest of you life but once you truly accept that you can not Drink it really is a freeing feeling. Alcohol is a cancer to those of us unfortunate enough to stricken as we are, however you are not alone, and it is very treatable if you put in the work. Find Help, be it a group, a church or a program and do the work. If you are like me, 3 years from now you will look back at the work and be very proud.

2 Likes

Incredibly powerful; thank you for sharing!! This really resonated with me as well - because I also spent a lot of time in denial (I can stop at any time!!!), and every now and again the temptation creeps back - but I come on here and to be reminded, and harken back to: one is too many, and 1,000 is never enough.

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.

I’m so grateful for apps like this; I actually quit smoking too 3 months ago, and having that visual reminder of all the days I’ve been free has come in clutch when things get hard. I’m really hoping this app and the people on it will give me a similar reminder if relapse feels like a threat.

Thank you for your comment !

1 Like

Congratulations on quitting smoking as well!! I quit a long while ago and it was rough, but I am grateful that is behind me as well. Glad you are here!!!

1 Like

Last Saturday was really a moment of clarity for me. How can I be using it to cope if it’s the worst possible thing I could be doing to myself and my relationships, you know ?

Thank you for your support and acknowledgement, I hope you have a lovely weekend

2 Likes

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this comment, it’s definitely something I’m reading with heavy thoughtfulness. Thank you for sharing bits of your story with me as well. I am so happy you are still here and on the road of recovery with the rest of us.

I'm only 26, so my 30 is 4 years away. I am kind of wishing that in those 4 years I will do enough work where complete abstinence on alcohol won't even feel like a loss when the day comes and I decide I want to be sober for the rest of my life, you know ? I still kind of pendulum between admitting and denial on calling myself an alcoholic.
Like you mentioned, the shame and guilt is poison but it's hard not to feel them, heh. I am lucky to have found a community where people are open and encouraging, I'm sure I will benefit greatly from reading insights like yours while working through my addiction.

Congratulations on 3 years, you can be incredibly proud of yourself. I'm looking forward to doing the work.

Again, thank you for your comment. I hope you have a lovely weekend !