Finding a program or group that fits

Many of us including myself can look at AA as a program that works. Thanks in part to the AA program, I remain sober for day 4283. My 32 year old brother-in-law recently realized that he is an alcoholic. He was sober for nearly 2 months but drank excessively the other day. My mother-in-law wants him to try again, but he is making the excuse of AA not working for him because he doesn’t believe in God. Even after discussion of what a higher power means, he said he’s not going back. I figured this community probably knows of a program or group that might work for my brother-in-law. I’ve already reached out to him letting him know I’m always a call away. So how about it, give me some recommendations please.

2 Likes

Here are a few:

(I’m a fan of this online community but there are fees attached)

If he’s at all inclined to check out a Buddhist path:

5 Likes

I have been in Refuge Recovery for close to 2 years and highly recommend it. It is nontheistic. You do not have to be a Buddhist to recover in RR. For the last two months I have been attending bi-weekly Eight Step Recovery meetings as an enhancement. I like it so much I initiated an online meeting that convenes every Thursday
evening. Here’s a link to the Buddhist Recovery Network. I would also recommend Recovery Dharma.

Recovery is possible. Look at you!!! I wish you and your family all the best.

P.S. I also have a 12-step AA home group,though alcohol not my doc and an Al-anon group. I have ultimate respect for AA. :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks for the help.

1 Like