Finding a purpose and hobbies

Hi everyone! Im brand new here, and just hit four months today. I feel good so far. However, I am having trouble finding a purpose. I am married and have two kids. But I don’t have any hobbies really, and dont know where to gwt started. I also, dont know how to find a sober group, or community near me. I know there is always AA, but im looking for other groups as well. Has anyone been in a similar situation to where they dont know what to do with their free time? Or felt like they don’t have a purpose? Any information or advice would be appreciated.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community Patrick! Congrats on your 4 months.

Check out the thread A list of recovery groups, hotlines, text lines - possibly will find some good sober support in your area.

some hobby ideas

• working out
  • hiking
  • skiing, snow boarding
  • knitting or crocheting (i used YouTube to teach me how)
  • baking or cooking
  • pottery
  • painting or coloring
  • gardening

you could also use the magnifying class on the top right to help you search for other hobby or recovery support group threads.

grateful to have you here with us! Keep stacking up the days.

5 Likes

@JazzyS Aweee mannnn now I wanna do all those things too lol Esp knitting or crocheting… Hobby Lobby and YouTube it is… :yarn:

1 Like

Don’t forget Lego… haha, always a fun little distraction.

5 Likes

LOL – go get your knitting on :wink: can’t wait to see what you make!

1 Like

OOH - that is a great idea-- think a thread on here about lego too… may want to check out

1 Like

Hey! Thank you for all the suggestions! I actually workout everyday. I guess its the after work, and evenings where I feel like i have no purpose.

2 Likes

i hope something helps — or possibly other threads here will give you more ideas. Just don’t lose hope and keep fighting the good fight :muscle:

1 Like

I recently been volunteering with a group where we provide an art night.
anything from crafting to painting.
even the simplest of crafts you can find at hobby lobby or Michaels.

You mentioned you have kids. I’ve actually tried some of the projects we’ve done at the volunteering home with my own kids and they have been a success. I also noticed how painting is so soothing and relaxing.

3 Likes

Nice to see you. I hope all is good with you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So many life changes but definitely all good. Glad to be back in the forums.

2 Likes

Welcome to the think tank Patrick. Lots of good reading to be done around these parts.

Also, good to meet you @Lovelyoutlook

2 Likes

Thats why they have meetings in the evening they knew us alkys would get bored lol wish you well

2 Likes

Hey, PatrickG,
I’m just over 5 months & started working out again since getting sober. Now I have “big energy”. Ha,ha!
I’ve finally been able to get things done around the house - changing faucets, painting, etc.
Hobbies are great tho. I have a friend that keeps buying me lego kits. I’ve also got some puzzles going, walking, skiing, cooking more.
Great job on 4 months!

1 Like

Volunteering helps with my sense of purpose. I have a couple of volunteer jobs. I grocery shop for elderly and then i go to a place that gives donations that help low income families get the clothing and furniture they need. It’s so much fun! I feel better after a shift and you don’t need to stay long! It’s awesome

3 Likes

Great idea :potted_plant: