Finding my higher power. how did u?

Yup me too! Exactly the same! And wow I cried so hard when I watched those near death experience videos!

1 Like

I just left a comment about YouTube, but IMS going to do it again :joy::joy:. You tube is great for that. Just find some upbeat praise songs and sing and dance around your house. If you have someone else join you, then it’s church!

2 Likes

Just remember to look within yourself. Your moral compass is a great guide once you have sobered up and it’s pointing in the right direction.

3 Likes

God found me many years ago, and I can see how he’s been leading me back to sobriety. I read scripture most days, frequently listen to the Daily Audio Bible podcast, but I think the most important habit I have is frequent prayer. I pray on waking, several times throughout the day, and most nights before sleeping, although sometimes I fall asleep in the middle of prayer. I don’t think He minds.

6 Likes

Thank you! I have trouble watching my language. I don’t think He minds one bit😉 And to the original poster, the power of prayer is an amazing thing. I had no expirience praying. No one ever really taught me how. But I had the gift of desperation, so I gave it a shot. I closed my eyes and folded my hands and started talking out loud to the seemingly empty room. Little did I know that I was talking to God for the first time. And little did I know that it would change my life.

There’s no rules here. He is waiting and always listening to you.

5 Likes

thanks guys… thanks for sharing and helping:) ive got plenty of things to try for the first time!!!

4 Likes

I am on the same search.
I have been trying different churches as well as opening myself up to alternative views. I feel like before I label my higher power (not that it needs one) I owe it to myself to try everything. So far I have had great experiences at non denominational churches. I have Buddhism on my list for next lol

5 Likes

thanks mate keep me updated!!! im off to church sunday as well…

I remember the first morning of what would become continuous sobriety for me…I was just collected the night before, by my parents who brought me back home to live with them. I was ashamed, humiliated & full of despair. My belongings were in garbage bags. I just lost my apartment. My divorce wasn’t finalized yet, just lost another job, was out of money, time & people to turn to, etc…I woke up that morning, scared outta my mind, and absolutely completely defeated. I had no other choice. I finally believed I needed to cling to something, somewhere stronger then me. I went into the bathroom, got down on my knees and prayed for about :20 min…I prayed with everything I had & a hope that it would be heard. I made it that day without drinking. That was a miracle to me. So I thanked this power at nighttime & asked him again to help me the next day. I felt different. Peaceful, like I had a protector with me. The more I believed, the more I felt him…Turns out the proof I needed to see (if there was a God or not) was visibly felt inside me from day one.

4 Likes

Just Beautiful! Soooooo much better than most of the bathroom floor stories we hear around here :joy:

4 Likes

:joy::joy: Yay! For a good bathroom floor story :sweat_smile:

I don’t believe in a Christian (or male) higher power. I was raised Roman Catholic and considered the convent at one point in my life. insert insane laughter here Nor do I consider my HP female, although I’ll often call it Sophia (wisdom). My husband and I are SGI Buddhists. He’s an atheist, but his HP is science and humanity. A spiritual atheist if you will. Whatever feels right to you.

1 Like