Finding my higher power. how did u?

im on the great search for my higher power. im working the steps and have really enjoyed listening to audiobooks on finding god. but i still find it hard to get my head around it. im currently reading ‘finding your way back to god’ and love it. my question is, what did people read, listen to or do that helped talking to god and having a connection with god? tia

2 Likes

I just heard a cool new saying that I’ve been waiting to unleash in the forum.

GOD = Go Out Doors

10 Likes

It’s for people who love nature but it sounds cool

2 Likes

Hi! Great thread. Not sure if you’re speaking about Christianity, but “The Purpose Driven Life” by Pastor Rick Warren is good. He has a knack for teaching the Bible in a relatable way that helps me stay connected with God throughout the day.

Also, just remember that God is always here for us, even when we can’t feel Him or turn away.

4 Likes

im open for anything really. thanks alot ill add it to my collection:)

I would consider trying different meetings too. AA and NA both have different ideas on how to arrive at your higher power. If you are interested in learning it’s actually a very interesting topic. I call my higher power God, but not in the religious way. My God transcends denominations and all that other stuff. I also live near an Indian reservation so I get good info in the Creator.

Side note: native Americans always have really cool creation stories.

4 Likes

im off to church this week for the first time since i was a kid. going with the flow and where ever it takes me!!!

3 Likes

I support that. We have some really cool, open to anyone churches here in Syracuse. One church does a lot of work with the homeless and has a huuuuge rainbow flag hanging out front saying all are welcome. I grew up in a church that allowed female pastors and will officiate gay weddings. To me that’s what church and a higher power should be. Loving, caring and inclusive of ALL people.

4 Likes

I usually wouldn’t post something like this. But since you are asking here’s a link to little 5 minute daily clips from my church. They come between 6 and 630 every day and are part of my morning meditation:)
https://www.northcoastchurch.com/sermons/daily-dose/

3 Likes

thanks gabe im in aus so ill listen to it before bed soon

I’m tagging @Twowaymirror into this bc he has also been seeking lately and can probably add some input

2 Likes

Right on man. Any of the Chris Brown ones are really good. Dude is an amazing story teller

1 Like

I’m assuming that’s not the singing, Rhianna beating Chris Brown? That Chris Brown sucks

2 Likes

Hahaha. Nope. This Chris brown is awesome. I know a few people that have done their 5th step with him

1 Like

Woah that really sounds like it’s an awesome church! I’d love to have something like that here in Germany. Sadly I don’t. Churches here are very conservative, they don’t care about the youth and that’s very sad. And the worships are super boring. I’d love to sing and clap my hands in Church bc it should be a beautiful time with some fun!

2 Likes

I did not have trouble believing in a higher power which i choose to call God. But something that might help you, is look for those so called “coincidences” in life. Those truely are God moments at there best… when talking to God, things will not happen on our time, but on His time. And looking back at life, ive had a lot of “God moments” that i never realized…

6 Likes

Great great point! I have said it many times on here. There are no coincidences. What some call coincidence, others call God

2 Likes

Here’s a good example. I had a scheduling conflict today that was causing me minor stress bc I can’t keep taking time off work. Anyway, I prayed for the strength to get through the day and handle whatever came my way. I got a call this morning from my counselor having to reschedule my appointment to a time that is better for me. I gave my will over to God and everything worked out. I didn’t pray to have things work out in my favor. I just prayed that I be given the strength to handle what the day brought. I have this happen at least 5 times a week.

God moment. Boom!

8 Likes

I found God after watching YouTube videos about aliens :joy:. Apparently when people experience an “alien abduction” And they call out to Jesus, it’s over. I watched a video of a guy who studied “alien abductions” And he discovered a trend. I was like WTF?!? I prayed to God, if this is true, give me proof. Sho nuff He filled my spirit and I knew Christ was real. After that I started watching near death experience videos and that’s when I started to really feel the call that I needed to quit abusing drugs and alcohol for the sake of my soul.

So you could say YouTube helped me find God, though it was really the testimonies of other.

Good luck on your journey!

5 Likes

Yeeees I know those “coincidences” very well. In the past there where moments like in the fairy tale “Hansel and Gretel” when they put bread crumbs on the ground to find their way back home. I just had to see those bread crumbs and follow them and as I did everything went well!
@Englishd this is how I handle it too, I pray for strength to get through something and it really helps.

3 Likes