First AA meeting, nailed it

Well it was scary and exciting all at the same time, was very anxious while walking through the door, but I did it!!.
What a powerful, moving experience, I laughed, I cried, alot.
To hear stories from others was a revelation, others have done the same things as me, made the same mistakes and bad decisions, embarrassed themselves and ones they love, just like I have, I suddenly don’t feel so alone in this journey, I will be going back, the one friend I told thinks I dont need to give up alcohol, they are not living my life everyday so will not listen to them, or are they just upset they have lost their entertainment??
Feeling positive and so happy to have found another support network, I’m going to bed sober, day 4 here I come :grin:
I’d love to hear stories of your first meeting and what drove you to bit the bullet and get sober :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

22 Likes

I’m so glad you went and had a good experience! My first meeting stuff is here: First AA meeting in one hour

It gives me chills whenever I hear someone else talk about their first meeting or I see a newcomer at a meeting, because it brings me right back to all those intense feelings at the start. Now I go because I want to and enjoy it and it grounds and centers me. Keep coming back!! :bird::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Ive still got my preamble card i got at my first meeting was sitting on my hands as i was shaking a lot lol and not a mobile phone in sight lol well done on your first AA meeting keep going and im sure things will get even better wish you well

3 Likes

Great job! I went to my first AA meeting when I was about 23 and just got out of jail I woke up not remembering what I did it was 4th of July so I had to stay an extra day and it was just horrific but when I walked through the doors I felt so welcomed that when I was ready to get sober I knew exactly where to go! you just have to have a desire to quit to be a part of a program that doesn’t cost money it’s amazing and people really love and care about you and you find a support group and that is so important! You also find tools in there people help you make your toolbox for when you’re having a rough time. And everyone stays sober together no matter what! It is absolutely amazing great job you’re taking a step in the right direction!

2 Likes

my first meeting was online with refuge recovery and it felt very powerful and insightful. also was comforting to know other people that have been in similar situations as me.

i decided to get sober because i knew i was drinking heavily for the wrong reasons (an ex/colleague would trigger me to drink) and i was constantly disappointing myself after a binge. i’m thankful that i was able to analyze my triggers quite quickly and know that i really like myself without the drink. that i don’t need to drink to be happy, get over my relationship, have fun with friends, spend a friday night, date, etc. it’s tough putting down the drink, and i congratulate you on staying sober - for any reason you have to get sober is reason enough. :heart:

1 Like