First day of no drinking. How long until the demons come back that got blocked out by drink?

OK so a little about myself…
I’m new here, I’m 26 and currently drink a 35cl bottle or 2 of vodka a day…
I started drinking when I was in an abusive relationship, I found it helped make life feel easier and things didn’t hurt so much (mentally and physically). Me and my kids went through Alot and thankfully were out of that situation now but are residing in refuge MILES away from home. I found since moving here my drinking has got worse but my tollerence better. I drink now because it shuts my head up from thinking of stuff I really don’t want to think about, and it works but only in the moment… I decided last night that today is the day I change, I know it won’t be easy but I’m determined to do it. I just know my brain is gonna start over thinking things again and I don’t want it to but need it to to be able to recover fully. I’m on a waiting list for councilling… And stopper determined I’m going to do it and I know I will, I’m just nervous of the rollocoster ride that’s gonna come…
Sorry that was a long one, thankyou for reading

6 Likes

Im new also. Take it one day at a time! Ive started day 1 three times now. You can do it!!! I promise! Welcome!:tulip:

1 Like

Thankyou for the advice…
One day at a time is all we can do.

2 Likes

Exactly!! Im struggling too!! But lets just hang in there!!! I dont want a liquid to control my life!!

2 Likes

Hi, welcome! I wish you well on your journey, please be careful with just stopping cold turkey… it can be dangerous! Maybe, if you could, talk to your doctor as a medical detox might be needed. I’m glad you found this wonderful place, it’s great to have you here with us! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

6 Likes

You’re a strong, intelligent lady, Lisa. I’m glad you’re here; and yes, just worry about today. Don’t overwhelm yourself with what ifs.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

4 Likes

Hi Lisa
Welcome and good on you for deciding things are going to change for you. There is a lot of good advice on this site.
I do not know your history of course and I hope you feel safe where you are. As for demons coming back, well they have never gone away. We just tend to mask them in a way that makes them worse. Now you are sober, you are in a much better position to deal with them and to map a way forward. Being your age you have a great deal of opportunity for you and your kids ahead.
It certainly sounds as though counselling is a great way forward and can be moulded to your individual needs especially if you have a good counsellor. It also sounds as though your needs are immediate and you will have a bit of a wait for your first session. So stick around here and get all the support you can. Here and elsewhere you have a lot of like minded people. (Smart recovery, AA, CA etc - there is a thread on here for resources, I’ll see if I can send you a link).
The collective experience of everyone here is phenomenal and we are always happy to give support, so keep checking in daily, or more often, to chat about anything. :heart::pray:

3 Likes

Here goes: Resources for our recovery
:balloon:

4 Likes

They never leave in the first place. We learn to have the upper hand while we stay clean and sober. Stay strong! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

2 Likes

Thankyou…
I really appreciate the advice and support.
Day one of a much needed good change :blush:

1 Like

I’m working with a drug and achol recovery firm thingy… I can’t say what it is other wise it’ll narrow down an area of where I’m at… The group that I’m on I don’t feel is right for me as there all 6 - 8+ months in recovery and I’m obviously not there yet so I don’t really get much out of it. I’ll check the link out now. And thankyou, I have no doubt you guys are all supportive. I really appreciate it thankyou :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome Lisa.
Glad to see you back too @Mpags
IMO the roller coaster is or was the drinking. I generally call it the merry go round. I’m so happy to be off it and enjoying sobriety. Quite frankly, I’m still terrified to think I can’t drink ever again. And I sometimes fantasize about when or where my next drink will be. And I guess that’s ok, because; as I’ve said on here many times, I’m not drinking today and I probably won’t be drinking tomorrow. One lovely sober day at a time.
:pray::heart:

2 Likes

Not sure where your at Lisa and not sure if it’s possible but could you find a group or meetings or whatever that you like and can relate to? I can understand that might not be possible where you live. I use to got to Al Anon when I lived in Austin. It took me awhile before I found a group that I could relate too. But Austin is a big town.
:pray::heart:

1 Like

Hi Lisa!! How are ya :hugs::heart: well I think you’ve come to the right place! Many of us have been in your shoes at various times, believe it or not. But the best thing about this place is the woman power that all of us can give to support you! Ask the wise ones on here lots of questions while you wait for further assistance. Take care of YOU then you can take care of the rest :slight_smile: hugs!!! :hugs::hugs::heart::heart:

1 Like