First day off the drink

Im 31 been drinking heavily everyday since ive been 15 messed up relationships and also my complete life through drink at my worst was up to 20 beers a day ive tried to quit before never made it more than i couple of days
Today ive woken up hanging but have vowed never to drink again i know it will be a long road to recovery but all i want to be is happy and live a normal life with my child so here goes.

23 Likes

Hey and welcome! :slight_smile: tons of support and resourced can be found on this forum,so you’re in a good place to start! Keep checking in, you can do this! :slight_smile:

Thanks alot im going to be checking in everyday x

3 Likes

It shocks me how similar a lot of us are! I’m also 31 woke up hanging this morning, so had to reset my counter ( although I had only gone 2 dry days prior to that :roll_eyes:) I’m also a mum, I haven’t been on this site long but from what I’ve seen it seems amazing in terms of support, good luck on your journey :blush:.

4 Likes

Good luck on your journey aswell hopefully this time we do it

3 Likes

Congratulations on the first step! @Laura220 Lots of support here :heart:️

1 Like

Welcome to the community both of you, you’ll find lots of support here from some great people, I’m only on day 41 so not too far ahead of you.

The best advice is to take it a day at a time, or an hour or a minute depending on how the cravings are.

When starting out ensure you avoid people, places and things you associate with alcohol, it’s prevents immediate temptation from getting in the way.

Change your thoughts from negative words like I don’t want to drink to positive thoughts like I want to be sober. This really helped me.

Just over a month ago I was in your shoes, now I’m in a much better more positive space. Stay strong and believe you can do it.

Here for you if you need to share and if the temptation is overwhelming come on here, there’s always someone willing to try and help.

Good luck, stay strong and stay sober x

5 Likes

Let’s take “never again” and “hopefully” out of the equation and say “Just for today, I will not drink/use”

10 Likes

I like that idea @Melrm that is exactly what I said this morning and I didn’t drink today. I’m on day 2 @Laura220. Let’s do it together.

5 Likes

Well done for taking action. …Excelsior…onwards and upwards

3 Likes

Welcome, you will have lots of support in here

1 Like

Hi Laura, I’m 31 too and my story is a little similar. Wish you the best of luck xx

Ahh thanks good luck to you where u from? Wots ur story?

@Laura220 Welcome the hardest part is over you asked for help and we are here to give it to you and support you. Admitting you have a problem with drinking is one of the hardest things to do. Don’t give up we are all here to help.

2 Likes

Thanks alot im still going strong i think this forum is great so much support and positivity around here

I’m from England.
I have a drink once every week more or less and since I was a teenager. The problem is I binge and make a total fool of myself. I also have anxiety, which makes the guilt a lot worse the day after.
I too have kids and don’t want them to see it as normalised behaviour. There are a lot of drinkers and depression in my family, so I know from experience what it can do to people…I just keep making the same mistake. I get excited or on the other hand feel so down and stressed, then I forget about how I hate myself drunk and any consequences that come with it.
That’s me!
Day 2 today.
Xx

Im from england too near cambridge and i suffer anxiety and depression too so i hear ya its gonna be difficult road to recovery but it will be worth it in the end we never have to wake up again after knowing we made a fool outta ourselves roll on day 3 xx

2 Likes

Yes you are so right! Thank you xxx

1 Like

Im starving though jesus i could eat everything atm lol hows ur night going?

1 Like

Not too bad thanks. I had a good lunch earlier. It’s a new moon tonight, so been trying to learn about abundance and how to manifest a positive future. But way out there, but hey i need something to fill the gap :rofl: