First day sober and first day in this group hoping to find people that know what I am going through and can help along what I know will be a long journey

Welcome April - Your best days are ahead of you - Completing Day 2 for me and hopeful fir Day 3. Not looking back or having my memories linger in my mind - They said all I need is mustard seed of Faith - that’s all I have - Keep your head up -

1 Like

Welcome April. Tons of amazing people and advice here. I’m on Day 13 and already feel at home here, one day at a time, one choice to say no, one extra morning waking up and feeling great! I’m serious, no hangover life is a good life. Glad you’re here!

4 Likes

Welcome April!! I’m in the states also. Doc, alcohol also. I’m currently on day 4, again, with sobriety. It definitely is a process. There is SUCH good info here and the people here are amazing and soooo helpful. Been my rock since starting this new life. Remember, it’s a process, not perfection. Take it all one day at a time. Sometimes, it’s minutes by minutes. (Tonight was that for me. I logged into a zoom AA meeting for the hour I wanted to drink so badly) got through it. You can do this. We’re all here for you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @April84

Your in the right spot, and have already started your journey. And here is a great place to start,

As far as fixing past mistakes, it’s a time taking process, one of my biggest faults I had was I just wanted to make it all better on day 1, stick around read ask questions you will shock yourself

3 Likes

@April84… I am so excited to see you tomorrow for Day 2!!! Everyday girl! Stop in the am under the topic of daily gratitude to start your morning off and then spend some time reading an joining. It truly takes a tribe and you are not alone:-) I am at: Day 9 (and 14 hours 51 min, 3 s):slight_smile:

5 Likes

Starting day 2 I actually feel great today considering I am not waking up from a blackout this morning with a hangover. I know for me night time will be much harder because that is when I normally start drinking. Thanks so much for all the support and looks like you guys are all doing great with your journey congrats to all of you!

6 Likes

Hi April. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. This is great a site. :pray:

1 Like

If tea time/night time is your booze time then make sure you have a tool box of things to do instead. Bare with me on this but… I found having a good clean and tidy and a move round of furniture, if poss really helps. My drinking time was around the same as yours so I made sure that my surroundings felt different. Make something nice for your dinner and have an extra yummy pudding ready for afters. Also, have a nice bubble bath with candles or a nice relaxing shower. And going for a walk around the block after dinner is a good thing also. Remember, nothing changes if nothing changes so change it up girl! And if all else fails come here and have a natter to us. You can do this but stay strong and determined. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Hello April, im proud to be able to be here for you with a choice and I love every minute of sobriety most of all being here for others to help. Jm so happy we have you to join us so we can be here for each other. Re eciverg comes in n different waves a m n at a time to a second or hour at a time just know you can do this for YOU! this is a great place to be in have faith in your recovery. Have a great day

3 Likes

Welcome neighbor! I’m in Jacksonville, FL - @Apri84 - you are in the right place - lots of great, supportive, funny, helpful people here! We’re all over the world, so there is someone ‘standing watch’ around here at all times.

1 Like

You can do it brother :pray:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the suggestions and encouragement I will deff try to find things to keep busy tonight. Thanks so much again!

1 Like

Hi April, this place is a great place to get support. I’m starting out myself and on very low days I am here reading supportive comments from others like me. This has helped me a lot. Welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m right there with ya. It’s been hard not having physical locations. Good luck on day two

5 Likes

Glad u are here April84. Good move. Ah, yes. Mistakes in the past. They can be haunting at times, no doubt. I am pretty sure universally we all want to fix them. But we can’t do a whole lot about what is behind us now. But hey!, they are behind us and we dont have to repeat them! And I can tell you joining us here is not going to be a mistake.

Bye for now…

1 Like

Well done on day two @april84!
I just last night listened to a podcast by someone called Annie Grace who talked really intelligently about dealing with regrets.
She suggested that regrets and guilt are good emotions because they make us grow to become better people. For a lot of us here, regrets and guilt will be the things that pushed us to put down the bottle (or pipe/needle/rolled up 20/whatever else).
So there is evidence that regret can be good because it has made so many of us grow!

If you have not heard of Annie Grace, she has a book called This Naked Mind that is very popular in the sober and sober curious community. Maybe check it out?
I have found kindles to be great for this. I can read all the books about quitting I want in peace without worrying people around me. Especially when I’m feeling particularly low and tend to chain read quitting literature.

3 Likes

Thanks so much I will check it out I do enjoy reading. I feel much better today moving forward about things. I took a long walk, jump roped which I have not done in ages and watched a movie with my little girl and still cooked a nice dinner. I am feeling pretty positive other than I am up at 3 am and just went to bed at 12 am so looking like insomnia may be a thing. Thanks so much for all the kind words.

3 Likes

Yeah sleep completely falls apart in the early days, you’re not alone there!

5 Likes

Ooh I need to check out the headspace thing on Netflix. I had the app for a while and it was really good.

2 Likes

Well done in the first place for stopping, I’m 9 days in now. I can’t give that much advice just after nine days but I does get better and being here is a good thing loads of support here

3 Likes