First day sober. Want to stop for good

Hi, just came across this forum. I’m a consistent drinker (beer mostly) which at times gets out of hand and I drink far too much, normally tied to stress I believe and being a very anxious person. I tried to stop drinking 2 years ago and managed 80 days before I relapsed. Looking to try again, it’s hard to admit that I am not able to handle my drink and recognise I depend too much on it. Just wanted to be open here, thanks for reading and any advice is welcome. Thanks

23 Likes

Welcome Callum!

2 Likes

Good for you Callum, getting free from this dependence / over-indulgence is a great decision and will keep you free & clear. Welcome to Talking Sober! :wave: Lots to learn here and lots of interesting threads to read and post :innocent:

I liked this one early on because it helped me find relevant books and materials where I could learn about my recovery:

Resources for our recovery

Take care & don’t give up. You will get there if you take it one day at a time :innocent:

4 Likes

Welcome! This is a great place for support, stick around!

2 Likes

That is so awesome, you are taking control of your life and doing the hard shit! You got this, one day at a time, sometimes it’s one hour at a time, sometimes one minute at a time! Congratulations on day one, keep pushing forward​:rainbow::sparkles::two_hearts:

1 Like

Hi all, I’m new here. After hitting rock bottom and cheating on my 10 year strong relationship at the weekend I’m trying to get sober. I’m a binge drinker who works in entertainment and I’m struggling after 3 days already. I don’t really want a drink it’s more about knowing I can’t have one.

I have an event tomorrow which I am dreading as there is an expectation to drink and I’m usually the one leading it. Wish me luck

3 Likes

Try a meeting. I’m highly successful, binge drinker, and I tried a million times to quit or taper off. Wasn’t til I tried a meeting that it finally worked, and I did not want to do AA with my entire being. Wish you the best.

3 Likes

I did the same thing. 4 percent beer thinking that will slow me down. No.

1 Like

You can do brother! Just keep your mind busy and distracted from those cravings and eat and exercise regularly!

I’m new here myself and I already feel like this community is going to make such a difference. It means the world to have support. Im glad you’re here🙂

2 Likes

Hi Becky I hope you are doing well! Stay strong you’ve got this!

1 Like

Words of support are helping. It’s nice not to feel ashamed and alone - thank you

I suggest to everyone new to check out “This Naked Mind” it’s in audiobook as well. It shifted how I viewed alcohol and maybe it can for you as well. Instead of thinking i can’t have a drink it should be the drink can’t have me. Best wishes to everyone new fighting!

1 Like

I too am a binge drinker. I go for days without then when feeling good I think I can handle a couple but I can’t. It always turns into too many and I’m tired of the morning after. Not remembering what I did or much else. I just need to get a grip. I need to understand I can not be a norm person. I’m an alcoholic and I can’t have just one. I definitely need help controlling this addiction.

Sounds very much like me. I’m also doing some 1-2-1 counselling to understand a bit more about the why. I guess it’s different for everyone but aftr just one session I feel a bit of try and it’s helping me to start questioning myself. My counsellor says it’s about being curious about yourself and allowing yourself time to consider when and why you say yes or no. Just that pause is helping me to think more clearly about saying no.

I have had to identify some clear I want to achieve in life and if my action doesn’t lead or feed positively into this is should paste and think about the yes or no.

I’m obvs not always going to get it right but the technique seems to help?

If you’ve not tried counselling perhaps give one session a go and see how it makes you feel? Xx

I am with you. I have been drinking alot lately because I am going through a stressful time. I am wanting to be sober. It was definitely a hard thing for me to admit too. But you are doing amazing already for admitting to yourself you need to stop.