First Night- anxiety

This is my first post, first night not drinking with the plan to quit, and I’m having severe waves anxiety. Googling things about it is making me have straight panic. I downloaded this in hopes to talk to people about it so I can actually go to sleep.

9 Likes

Hi @EGW123, it is so great that you’re here on the forum with us, welcome :smiley:
Just take deep breaths, focus on your breathing, let the thoughts/worries come and go, let them go and focus back to your breath and just tell yourself and decide that, right now, you’re relaxing, you’ve made a wonderful decision to quit drinking, and everything is going to be okay. Because it is.
“This too shall pass” is a good mantra to come back to. A good night’s sleep will do you wonders, drink lots of water, put on a calming meditation and be kind to yourself. You’re awesome. You’re here. You matter. And you are WORTHY of being sober and happy :hugs:

3 Likes

Yay on such a courageous first step!

Sleep is complex. There are so many reasons why it is difficult to go to sleep or stay asleep. Nevertheless, get off the internet! That is the first step.

It will be okay. Take a very deep breathe, hold it, release it with a sigh…
We are here to help.
What do you need from us?

3 Likes

31 now, but have been drinking since I was 17. unfortunately it took separation from my wife and a wicked hang over to kick start my road to sobriety. Day 221 today. First thing I did was find this app with much doubt, but everyone has been so amazing and helpful.

Welcome to the fun side of sobriety :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome, take one minute at a time. We can do this.

3 Likes

Welcome, I’m so glad you found us! as others have suggested, try some nice steady breathing. Maybe a nice warm shower or bath? YOU ARE GOING TO BE JUST FINE, I PROMISE! It will all be ok. The damage that we do to our bodies and our nervous system whilst drinking and drugging is immense but it can all be put back right again. Drink plenty of water. This place is so amazing, the people on here know just how your feeling as we have all been through it. Welcome to the family my friend :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Thank you all so much. I have tried to fall asleep and woke up trying to catch my breath and it scared me so bad that it’s been coming and going since. I don’t have friends to talk to (burned those bridges) and everyone in my house is asleep so I definitely felt lost and alone. I feel a lot better now that I’ve reached out and am going to have a bath and be excited to wake up with a full 24 under my belt.
Tears and all.

4 Likes

You are amazing! This journey is hard but you are most definitely not alone. We got you covered 24/7 there is always someone around. Read around on here there is so much advice and support. I come here twice a day, it is one of my main sobriety tools and I’m at 557
Days! Just don’t drink today! One day at a time one hour at a time, one minute at a time if needs be. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Tears also happen in times of joy :wink:

Happy to help. Someone is always online if you just need to talk.

Enjoy your bath and your sobriety lol

1 Like

Welcome and congrats on making the wisest decision! This was a website that I liked quite a bit my first month. Hopefully it helps you too :heart:

I have to say real quick. I’m assuming that is your dog in your profile pic. I love how he’s been turned into a sandwich. so cute lol

Welcome! Lots of great support here.

You’re a rock! Keep the momentum moving and you can’t be stopped. One step at a time. Congratulations and welcome to the crew.

Welcome Jessica! How are you doing?