First post. Glad I found the group!

Hi all! I’m 52 and have been planning to quit drinking for about 4 years now. lol I keep thinking I can set boundaries and stick to them to be a “moderate drinker”. Every time I end up right back where I was, daily drinking, feeling like crap, beating myself up, etc. I really didn’t drink much at all until after my divorce at age 40. I guess it was a freedom thing. I’m the child of alcoholics so I KNOW the damage it can cause. I refuse to let it happen to me. I own my own business and actually coach others on success and peak performance. Time to walk my talk. I’ve read “Sober is the New Black” and “The Naked Mind” and realize that occasional drinking is not something I’m capable of. Drawing a line in the sand and just because it’s so close, Jan 1 will be my day 1. So happy to have found this group. I think I am going to need you!

7 Likes

Why not start today? You never know what bad things can occur as a result of your drinking between now and January 1st. Why risk it when you clearly have the motivation and tools to start today? I know for me when I first “started” to get sober I would repeatedly say “oh i’ll go to rehab tomorrow”. That went on for 4 months of me saying the same thing. Eventually I was dropped off at rehab by my girlfriend at the time. She was sick of all my excuses of why I couldn’t go to rehab. And trust me, for each day where I said i’d go the next day I always had an excuse lined up.

7 Likes

@Englishd, I was afraid someone would say that. lol Well, so I’m a planner. Posting here, reading, mentally preparing, it’s all part of my plan. I am drinking but careful not to do too much and I’m actually doing what I think of as "conscious drinking’. Really paying attention. Does it really even taste good? How long is that lovely warm high before it slips into not feeling good anymore and you just chase it. What are the effects in the morning? I’m actually going to compose a journal message now titled, “Break Glass in Case of Emergency” to myself to remind myself why I’m doing this and what I’m feeling. I know a week from now I"ll totally forget. I know you’re right, of course, but this is what I can deal with.

4 Likes

Ahhh, the best laid plans of mice and men. I know the feeling well. It wasn’t until all my plans went down in flames that I was finally able to get sober.

7 Likes

Welcome to our community,were here to help people that want to help there selves,I hope your soberity comes sooner rather than later,were all here to help support,guide and ride this road of recovery together, merry Christmas.xx

5 Likes

Welcome!! There is a lot to read here and it can be very helpful in your recovery. The FAQ has a lot of threads in it and can answer a lot of questions you may have and also help you navigate how the forum runs. I found that really helpful when I got here.

I am with Derek, why wait? Sobriety is a beautiful gift to give your self. The sooner you stop, the sooner you get healthy, feel less anxious and start building your new sober life and working toward recovery. And the sooner you stop pretending you are a normal drinker. I drank for 40+ years and let me tell you, the peace and relief from chaos you get with sobriety is a true blessing.

I also get the sense you feel you are giving up something positive…or you will be depriving yourself of a good time. Haha…We all LOVE the illusion of what alcohol offers, but here we deal with the REALITY. :grin:

So…welcome! Great choice to stop!! Check out this thread for a wealth of info…

(Frequently Asked Questions)

8 Likes

Wow do I like this saying. :+1::+1::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you so much !

2 Likes

Decide first. Plan later.

Decide to be better and then be better.

Sober is better.

Welcome.

1 Like

Very true!!

Welcome @NancyH so glad you’re here, I wish you well on your road to recovery. Remember, it’s best to always say no to the first drink. And take this one day at a time : ) it can be challenging, but it is totally worth it! Sober life = our best life :blush::pray::raised_hands: Merry Christmas :santa::evergreen_tree:

4 Likes