First relapse since joining this community

What the title said😔 I made 14 days and I felt like I didn’t struggle all that much with cravings, so I thought eh, maybe I’m fine for a few after all. But it ended up being 2 binge nights in a row, felt like crap physically and mentally.
I think my biggest issue is my comparison to other people, I hear/read stories and think “well I don’t have THAT much, maybe I’m not overboard with drinking like I thought” kind of makes me a bit of an asshole I feel like and I shouldn’t be doing that. I finally told myself, dont think about how much or how little you or anyone else has, do you want to be sober yes or no?(answer being yes) is all that should matter.
I was about to say something and went into a rant haha, sorry for the random vent.
My biggest hurdle is a bachelor party coming up, I have a large friends group, about 12 of us, we all knew each other since young kids, so this is a big deal to the group. But I know what I have to do, either make up a random excuse or tell them the truth. What was your experiences like, telling friends/family and any advice? I was thinking of just starting with my best friend and go from there but idk. I will sleep on it I suppose.
Anyways 4 days sober and feeling better this time, hope everyone is doing well and had a good weekend!.

9 Likes

Good morning, i have told a few people that i want to stay sober for a while , just to loose some weight. Didnt tell i did quit forever . So no questions from anyone for me.

Stay strong :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi there 🙋
Can’t you skip the bachelor party? Call in sick?
I the first 3 months or so I avoided every alcohol related events because I didn’t think I could manage them sober.
The first day of my being sober I told my husband. Later on I told my kids. The first months I told others I wanted to live healthier for a while. Now I have more sober time I just say I do not drink. If I got more questions about it it depends on our relationship. If they are close to me I tell them I have drank enough for my entire life so I had enough. If they are not close I say I don’t like alcohol at all.

3 Likes

Hi @FrozenBiscuit, good job getting tight back on the sober horse! That’s the way!
I would say tell your friends and be honest. If it is the way I imagine and your childhood friends and you getting smashed together is tradition, I don’t think you stand a chance just telling one or a few of them, because a group dynamic will develop where you’ll be pestered to drink - all in good cheer i mean, but still. If it wasn’t for the big occasion I would say tell a few ppl you are comfortable with and reduce your social obligations for a while, but that’s not possible in your case (I assume you want to go to the party).

Best of luck. You know what you have to do.

1 Like

Something to keep in mind; alcoholism is a progressive disease. You’re not overboard YET. You haven’t ruined your life through alcohol YET. Wouldn’t you rather stop before those things are true?

I’m considered a “high bottom” in AA because I never had a DUI, lost my job, had physical withdrawal symptoms, etc. When I listen to people’s stories about their low bottom experiences, I take it as a warning of where I will end up if I start drinking again. If you haven’t looked into AA, I recommend it. The steps focus on getting ourselves out of our egos, judgments, resentments, and self-will. I know it doesn’t work for everyone (or imo doesn’t work unless you work it) but I’m blown away by how much my life has improved working the steps.

In terms of the bachelor party, I would either not go or be completely forthcoming about not drinking. Everyone I’ve told has been supportive, and if they’re not that’s on them not you. Take your own car, and leave early or whenever you start to feel like you can’t be around the alcohol anymore. That way you’ve shown your support for your friend without putting yourself at risk. People may try to convince you to stay, but trust me - they’ll get over it a few drinks later and you’ll wake up feeling a hell of a lot better than you would if you drank.

4 Likes

I’m a high bottom too. No jail time or collateral damage to innocents or lost jobs…YET…so the exploits of others in this regard are cautionary tales to me.

This thing creeps like ivy across the top of the fence…I don’t know if I’m one relapse or six away from a nightmare with others hurt or a whole new bottom.

IF it was me: no bachelor party. Too risky.

4 Likes

Personally, if you were able to trick yourself into drinking at 14 days then I would not be rushing off to a bachelor party.
If you tell your friends, which again I would personally, and they are real friends then they will understand and be happy to help. But all you will need, if you will be feeling vulnerable, is one person saying " oh go on, it’s just tonight" and your little voice that got you drinking at 14 days will be agreeing.
Obviously, after your little reset you now realise how easy it is to be mislead.
So the above senario could be different.
It’s up to you. If they are mates you’ve known for years then they should be really supportive of your decision. I suppose this is the time to find out how close you are.
If they are not supportive, do you really want them in your life now you are moving on.
Tell them, it’s the only way you are going to get past this.
Gauge what you do after that.
This is, after all, your life not theirs.

5 Likes

In the past, I have claimed “stomach problems” or “a bit of an ulcer” for reasons for not drinking in social settings (not that I have many of those). That usually worked for me.

1 Like

It’s good, it helps to get through any given situation at first.
But part of the whole sobriety journey is honesty.
With ourselves and loved ones.
As soon as I told people who matter to me it was such a liberating experience.
People who don’t matter don’t get told more than I don’t drink, because they don’t matter to me.

1 Like

I can skip for sure and that’s what I’ll probably do tbh. Thank you for you message :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Tess Very well said, I understand what you’re saying and you’re right and that’s what I was thinking “stop it before it gets worse” I really appreciate your message, thank you.

1 Like

Thank you! And yeah I think I will just be honest, lying usually doesn’t work well for me haha.

1 Like

Might find some helpful info in this thread…

:heart:

2 Likes

Yeah I hear ya, you’re right. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Don’t look at this as your first relapse…but rather your ONLY relapse. Believe me, the words you use make a huge difference. It isn’t that you can’t drink but that you don’t and won’t drink.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

3 Likes

@SassyRocks Oh wow, this is great, thank you so much.

1 Like

Only relapse…I like that better! Thank you for the kind words :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@anon12657779 Yeah you’re are right I feel like and about the friends thing they SHOULD understand but if not, I still do what I think is right. I really appreciate your message

1 Like