First time 4+ days sober!

I have been heavely drinking for 3 years and in the last months I drank at least a bottle of wine every day. I compromised my social life because of it and it was beginning to effect my job… tried stopping a few times, but then thought what does it matter if I do one more… and yes kept pouring. Sometimes even in the morning. I really have/had to stop.
Today is day 5 of no alcohol after a lot of failed times. Went out in the last days, attended events from work and met up with my favorite wine friend. Managed to stay sober the whole weekend and enjoyed myself. First time in years I did grocery shopping without buying any alcohol. Sounds small but it is a very big step for me.
I told the closest people around me I am stopping with alcohol, that I am also not going to drink at special events and would appreciate if they would support me in this. Every hour and especially right after work I struggle untill I go to bed, but I am very proud and finally feel like this is going to work out! I feel better and like my personality better when I am sober. Hope to keep it up and to stay motivated.

25 Likes

That’s great to hear, thanks for sharing!

There’s lots of support and information on this forum. Even though everyone has a different story there is so much we can all relate to. Search, read, reach out when you need to.

This thread has lots of useful links, if you haven’t found it already:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Is good you chose to get on here there’s a lot of support! I’m nearly 16 months sober from alcohol. I’m a big believer in AA plus this forum! If you feel the need to drink after work you might want to try out a AA meeting near you! Is really great and the people are awesome. If you need anything or someone to talk to you can message me anytime!

3 Likes

Congratulations! My story is very similar to yours lots of wine progressing to daily a bottle plus. Going to the grocery store without buying alcohol is so liberating! And you save so much money! Also the mental fight is gone of should I drink today? (Which always ended in yes) after work and stressful days are a trigger for me as well I have developed some wellness routines that have helped of nail painting, face masks and lifting weights or yoga at night. I felt like I drank out of boredom and trying to do
More healthy things to fill my time is helpful. I read the sober diaries and a happier hour when I first was getting sober and those helped me a lot. I sent some emails to close friends and family before I would see them to let them know I am no longer drinking and why they have all been supportive and some have even joined me in sobriety. I love to go out to dinner and get a lot of tea instead of a bottle of wine and hangover free weekends (and weekdays) are amazing! The app and this group are also helpful. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

You’re on the right path! I’m also a few days into sobriety and understand how small wins; like skipping THAT aisle in grocery store, really does mean a lot!

Something important I’ve heard; Annie Grace’s podcast with Dr Amy Johnson, is that observation can relieve that do or don’t feeling.

Take a step back to reflect on what that craving is really going to entail; is it really worth it? What would another day/night sober give you?

Hello Floortje and welcome!
Your name sound Dutch, are you? I’m Dutch.
If you are I can recomment you this book:

What also helped me is:
*No alcohol in my house
*Avoid alcohol related evends in the beginning
*Tell my inner circle about my need to be sober
*Check in here every day
*Fill my refregerator with nice food and alc free drinks.
*Seek for hobbies to fill in time
*Take extra vitamins like a B complex
*Be nice to yourself.

If you aren’t Dutch…the book is also in English. But the title is differend. So google on the writers name. She also has a great blog!

4 Likes

Thank you for your words Ap0611. Amazing you are doing so good and had the courage to approach your friends and family, that was a big step for me. To recognize and admit the problem.
I am a little relieved to read someone relates to my situation. Takes a bit of the shame away somehow.
Now that I think about it I think the boredom is also a huge pitfall for me. I started with a new workout yesterday and think your wellness routine makes a lot of sense for me. Thanks again for sharing your story!

Hi Buts!
Yes indeed I am from the Netherlands - The Hague area. Nice to meet a fellow Dutchy here! Where are you from?
Thank you for the tip! I looked up the book and it seems hilarious and the perfect ‘leesvoer’ to keep motivated.
Also your other points are really helpful, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Ik kom uit Breda, Noord Brabant :smiley:
Er zijn meer Nederlanders hier @Benedictine is er 1 van, maar er zijn er niet veel.
Welkom!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @Floortje! It sounds like your motivation level is very high, in that case this is a great time to start a new routine. To help with the evening hours, I found going to AA meetings a great way to pass the time, surround myself with sober thinking, make new friends (especially other sober men), and set up a social network. I cannot stay sober all on my own, I need other voices and faces.

Blessings on your house :pray:.

1 Like

All sounds positive! :heart:

1 Like

Maybe ameeting might help wish you well

1 Like

Dankjewel @Benedictine!

This is book is the sober diaries in English! Such a great book!

Loved it too! :smiley::+1: