First time camping sober

Hooray! Our favorite campground on Oahu has opened up and I just booked 3 days in July and 3 days in September, which will be my 49th birthday.
The first trip will be my first time camping sober since I was a child, and the September trip will be my first sober birthday.
I’m so excited because I’ve been in my apartment for months and just the idea of chilling on the beach, campfires, and busting out our tents is going to be AMAZING.
Then the voice came.
Camping sober?! Camping sober on your birthday?!? Are you crazy? Maybe just a few drinks won’t hurt…ugh.
I just had a full on discussion with myself in my brain, one side talking me into it, and one side fighting back. So now I’m sitting here taking some deep breaths and forming a sober plan that includes AF options and activities I would have been too lazy drunk to do before. I’m trying to picture what it will be like to be fully engaged in the moments.
I have awhile before we actually go and I have a feeling I will be arguing with that evil voice many times, no matter how determined I am in my sober plans. Wish me luck!

10 Likes

Good luck! You can do it! I like your plan of preparing activities that you might have been too lazy drunk to do before. Maybe bring some special food that you might not have bought before because you spent the money on booze and some fun specialty sodas if you’re into that kind of thing. That way you’re still treating yourself with something without alcohol.

1 Like

This! Yes! Maybe I will actually EAT SOME S’MORES this time, lol. I’ve always been too full of booze to want them. Walk the whole beach. Boogie board!
I’m going to make delicious pretty mocktails.
I won’t have to get up a 1000 times at night to go pee outside, sometimes in the rain!
I can wake up early, and not have to cure a hangover by starting drinking before breakfast!
I can go watch the sunrise over the ocean.

6 Likes

I would suggest not giving the trip much thought right now because it can create anxiety about a situation that isn’t here yet.

I personally find camping sober wonderful!

1 Like

That all sounds amazing! It sounds like you have some exciting plans! Splurge on some quality chocolate for your smores! It’s your birthday after all!

1 Like

I appreciate your suggestion, but that isn’t how my brain works, lol! Even while I was a drinker I was a super planner and over thinker. I’m a virgo, we never stop thinking, hahaha!
But seriously, I’m just gonna keep on processing my thoughts and staying zen while I do it. :call_me_hand::yellow_heart:

I love this idea!

1 Like

I hope this didnt sound bitchy! I truly wish I could stop myself from thinking about it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have an upcoming cabin and boat rental in a few days…it will be my first “vacation” sober. I’m sure my kids will drink but I’m ready to have fun sober.

1 Like

I’m excited for you!
My thinking on it is that I will stay sober and I’m excited to camp sober, but at the same time I’m tripping out that I’m actually excited to camp SOBER! Lol

1 Like

Exactly what I do! I say ‘yep, of course you can drink. Who’s stopping you? But roll that forward 12 hours. The headache, the dehydration, guilt, shame…’

I stayed in a hotel at the beginning of the year and didn’t drink. Despite the fine wine and cocktails on offer (in the room and out). I didn’t drink and I felt like I’d conquered Everest. You will too. Good luck! X

1 Like