First Time Inpatient Alcohol Treatment

How many of you have done I patient for alcohol dependence? I am a high functioning alcohol until the weekend and I tend to binge. I am terrified to leave my family for this but I’m also terrified to leave in a body bag which is more frightening. I just pray my insecurities and fears don’t prevent me from getting the help I need. I’ve put my husband through much. Terrified mom and wife. :cry::cry:

4 Likes

I went to an inpatient rehab. I was also nervous to go. I felt like i wasnt THAT bad. But that was the disease talking. I needed to go. Everyone around me knew I needed to go. I just couldnt accept it at first. Once I got there I knew I was supposed to be there. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It didnt solve all my problems or anything like that. But it put me in a safe place for over 30 days where I could just focus on my alcoholism in the safety bubble of the rehab. I learned a lot there. Learned how much damage I had done. Learned about the disease itself. I also started peeling back the layers of who I really was. What i enjoyed, what I was good at, who I wanted to be. It was the cornerstone to my sobriety. The first step. Dont be afraid to leave your family to go. They are going to get a whole new wife and mom in the end! Stay strong, be honest, and work hard. Live life one day at a time. One more thing i did was found AA meetings in my area and started going the literal day after i got back from treatment. The tables of AA are apart of my sober life now and will be forever. I wish you the best on your journey and hope you find the serenity you are looking for!

3 Likes

Thank you I’m looking to start on Monday. I’m three days sober on my own.

2 Likes

Thats awesome! Have you thought about checking out a meeting before you go?

@Reddawg7768 identified it exactly - rehab is a space and time to focus on getting well. Maybe before the weekend comes you can check out some AA or other recovery meetings, while you’re looking for rehab opportunities. Here’s some ideas for you, welcome to Talking Sober, Rocky.

Hey there yea I’ve been on meetings since Sunday and purchased the 12 step program.

1 Like

I went to rehab at the end of 2019. Left my two kids for a month to do so. Made life long friends there. It takes a lot of courage to do rehab. I applaud you.

1 Like

Purchased?

2 Likes

Being a functional alcoholic is an illusion in my opinion and very outward focused. Within I have always been a wreck, until I started working on it. I had 4 inpatient treatments, for which I left my son in te care of my ex and grandma and pa. Didn’t feel great to do at the time, but it was well worth it. I geuss he is glad that he has the real me back at around 450 days sober…your worth an inpatient treatment. It’s like a present to yourself and as a side effect for everybody around you…….

2 Likes

Yes because I am doing virtual right now for the meetings

1 Like

O so you bought the books?

Just making sure no one is charging you to go to meetings.

Yea no charge for books

Stay strong my friend xx

Thank you for your opinion but for myself it is a reality and that reality was confirmed with the program coordinator that I spoke with and the nurse. And being a nurse myself I do know this is a real thing. But again thank you for your perspective and your response.

When someone is colloquially termed a “high-functioning alcoholic”, they may be able to carry out daily tasks of living (such as job tasks, hygiene, childcare, paying bills, and participating in social activities) without exhibiting the full range of clinical impairments commonly associated with alcohol use disorders (AUD). https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/the-functioning-addict

Not looking to argue or debate but self identifying and finding a place of where I fit on the spectrum is important my journey to recovery ❤️‍🩹.

Again supporting people where they are and of that is your realization I am glad it is a good fit for you.

Thanks again

1 Like

I am presently just starting my last week of a 4 week live in Rehab. Best thing I have ever done. The first day is a bit scary but everyone will welcome you with open arms and help you settle in. Keep up the great work. :pray:t3::muscle:t3:

1 Like