First timer to the gym

So it’s my first time at the gym tomorrow. I’m very excited, but nervous. I’ve been sober from alcohol for 6 months and 4 days. I’m so proud of myself that I’ve achieved this . But now it’s really time to take it up a notch and work on getting healthier lose weight feel even better sober. What are some suggestions to do on the first day going to the gym? I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

11 Likes

My advice is don’t overdo it. The important thing about working out is constancy. You need to develop the work out habbit. So start slowly. I started out with a goal of 15 minutes per day 3 days a week. And over time i added more days and more time.
Also ask for help from the employees. Didn’t be afraid to be a beginner.
Good luck.
Hugs

6 Likes

My advice is to stick to the type of exercise you enjoy doing. I basically walk with a friend and started Pilates classes. I enjoyed it so it was an easy habit to establish. Also, weight loss is 90 percent diet. I used my fitness pal app for the diet support. Congrats on 6 months freedom from alcohol.

3 Likes

It’s incredible how much soberiety can change your life in a positive way! I bet a year ago you wouldn’t have dreamed this would be the case!

Start slow and build up, this keeps it fun and will help avoid injury. I would say aim for fun over any thing else and the other positives will follow.

3 Likes

Tell someone at the front desk this is your first time at a gym. They will show you around and explain how all the machines work and what muscles they work. Also start really slow and build up to more volume and time there. If you overdo it in the beginning, you’re gonna be miserable and not want to continue. Good luck. Gym selfies, weightlifting & fitness 🔥
There’s alot of people on this thread that can answer your questions if you have any

3 Likes

Along with the excellent advice from @Jasty2, keep in mind that this is the busiest time of year at any gym. And hydrate!

2 Likes