First timers guide for an AA meeting

With all the questions about attending a meeting, I thought I would post a little guide for newcomers:
http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/First_AA_Meeting.html#Discussion%20meetings

4 Likes

Thanks for this. After reading it I may look further into going to a meeting. Sometimes it seems overwhelming to even find one.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ve considered going but I always heard you had to speak and that makes me not want to go. I appreciate the information.

You dont have to speak, just a simple statement like my name is so and so, and im an alcholic and ill continue to listen. Or my name is so and so im an alcoholic and ill pass.

But you have to say your name and talk?

Here’s how I open every time. Hi I’m Chad im an alcoholic. I have heard several with: Hi I’m Fred and I’m hear to listen. If you can’t pull off being Fred I might suggest using your own name :wink:.

Any of the meetings that I’ve gone to, I’ve never had to say a word!!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m nervous but interested.

Don’t be nervous!! Everyone that goes to meetings are all soo nice and welcoming!! Their excited to have new people to mentor/guide into sobriety but only if u want it!!

1 Like

Google Simeetings along with your city and state. This is the easiest to navigate meeting finder that I have found :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You don’t have to until ready!

Ok will try this weekend and see what I come up with. THANKS!

I posted links to some of the more popular meetings for quick reference.

Thanks for this. I’m going to my first meeting tomorrow after 2 months out of treatment. A bit nervous but I have a fellow person from treatment coming with me.