First week down and checking in!

It’s officially been one week since I decided to begin my sobriety journey. I posted last week asking for advice and so many of you were extremely helpful.

Did my first online meeting and while it may not have been the right group for me, it helped me narrow down the type of group I’d prefer going to (specifically secular / non religious / agnostic / atheist). Found that you could narrow your searches down by using those key phrases in the search bar. I honestly just couldn’t get with the big book stuff. BUT…

I started listening to the Recovery Elevator Podcast (per many of your recommendations) and I’ve been keeping myself SUPER BUSY doing DIY/Creative Projects that I enjoy. Started painting my room and remodeling it so it’s a safe place I can retreat when I need. Additionally, I began sanding and refinishing the side tables to match my theme. It’s looking :sparkles: gorgeous :sparkles:.

Today I told my therapist basically everything I’ve spilled here and he gave me tons of advice and homework for me to do.

Also, not sure if it’s placebo effect BUT my anxiety/depression meds actually feel like they are beginning to work - because I’ve been in a pretty damn good mood!

That’s all for now. :heart:

14 Likes

I am new to recovery and I always told myself that i have my use under control but i still use on most days and, because I could stop for a week or two, I kept thinking I could control my addiction as I see fit.

I figured that since I have a job and a roof over my head, That I would take the opportunity to quit while i am ahead and still have a brain to do so.

I dont habe a sponsor but would like to meet one and if anyone is in the area of vancouver bc and know any sponsor with an open spot, feel free to suggest him to me

5 Likes

I don’t have a sponsor yet either but am open to the possibility. I’m sure people here could recommend where to find meetings near you so that you may link up with one. Good luck!

1 Like

Congratulations on your first week of sobriety.
@Mfoisy2022
Martin. That’s awesome.
:pray:t2::heart:

@AshleyDoesBetter

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

wthank you. It hasnt been easy but i am dealing with it

1 Like

Looks like they linked below!

1 Like

Congratulations on your first week Ashley.
:pray:t2::heart:
Shit. I thought this was Martins thread. My bad. I’ll edit that last post a bit.
Congratulations though. That’s huge.

Congratulations to both of you :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ill take all the help i can get,

:tada: Way to go !!!

That’t great! You made yourself a great start in sobriaty! Congratulations with your first week! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

3 Likes

You are doing everything right! Well done! And yes, my anxiety/depression meds definitely do work without alcohol. I’m glad you are being honest with your therapist. Podcasts are awesome! So many sobriety focused ones out there.

2 Likes

:fireworks: :tada: Congrats!! :sparkles: 7 days is a great start of a better you!! :tada: :fireworks:

1 Like

That’s awesome! I’m new here, just made it to my eighth day. I’ll be sure to check out that podcast you recommended.

3 Likes

Welcome Dan :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thank you!! I’m happy to share with Martin :heart:

1 Like

FeelsGoodMan

1 Like

Looks like I’m technically at day eight with you! Let’s GOOOOO!

1 Like

Welcome Martin! Sounds like you are starting to recognize that you may have an issue. But this is the place to be for that! We’ve all got em! When looking for a sponsor it all depends on what you prefer. My sponsor is in California and I am in New York, so nowadays there is always a virtual option if you ever meet someone you click with. I’d suggest hitting up a few zoom meetings maybe and see if there is a speaker or even someone talking that piques your interest and get in touch with them if that’s what you desire! Best wishes for you and trust me it is possible. Merely 6 months ago I didn’t think I could go an hour without a drink and today it’s a fleeting thought once in awhile!

1 Like

Congratulations @AshleyDoesBetter on the week! That is a feat in itself! Keep that positive attitude it’s infectious! And I don’t think it’s placebo it’s your brain not being bogged down by alcohol. Also being honest with your therapist and doctors is so relieving isn’t it! They knew the whole time, we’re just waiting for us to say something haha. Good luck and best wishes!!

1 Like